Everything Is Awesome & Nobody Is Happy Citizens of Heaven

 Everything Is Awesome & Nobody Is Happy

Citizens of Heaven


Introduction:

Have any of you ever heard the tale from Greek mythology about King Sisyphus? King Sisyphus was punished by the gods for his immense wickedness and villainy by having to roll a massive boulder up a hill. After he rolled the boulder up the hill, it would roll back down and he would start the process over. He was to do this act of rolling the boulder up the hill and watch it roll down for eternity. Over and over again, forever, King Sisyphus would push the rock up the mountain only for gravity to pull the rock back down. It is a story for the ages because so many people can relate to the feelings of persistent discouragement. 


Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever felt like King Sisyphus? Have you ever felt trapped in a constant cycle of discouragement and despair? Have you ever felt that nothing you do really matters, like nothing that you do has an eternal significance? Do you feel that every day you wake, it is like you are pushing a boulder up a hill only to rest your head at night knowing that the rock has already rolled back down to the bottom of the hill and you have have to do it over again tomorrow? 


Friends, people are more discouraged today than ever before. 


Inflation

Politics

Race Wars

Rising Prices 

Threats of War

Families Falling Apart


Millennials are the most discouraged group in America today. There are lots of reasons. Millennials are learning quickly that the careers that they are passionate and enthusiastic about do not exist or are not open to them because of their lack of education or experience. Millennials feel roundly mocked by older generations. Millennials are leaving the church in droves because they see the church more concerned with the status quo, protecting the bureaucracy, covered in red tape, and they believe that the church has traded God’s mission to feed, clothe and meet the needs of the less fortunate and sharing the Gospel for building tiny kingdoms. 


My point, everywhere you look, discouragement, despair, and depression abound. 


What is the answer? Where do we go? What can we do? Well friends I believe that I have found the answer in God’s Word. God’s Word delivers to us foundational truths wrapped in fresh perspectives. Isn’t it wonderful that God’s Word, this ancient book, opens our eyes to a new day and a beautiful dawn of encouragement?


Lamentations 3:22-23 ESV

The steadfast love of the Lord never ceases; his mercies never come to an end; they are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.


2 Corinthians 4:16 ESV

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day.


Isaiah 43:18-19 ESV

“Remember not the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I am doing a new thing; now it springs forth, do you not perceive it? I will make a way in the wilderness and rivers in the desert.


I think that you are getting the picture. God is doing a new thing. He has made a way for us to leave the discouragement of our lives, giving them up for a hopeful future. That is what we will be reading about today. Paul’s perspective of a new day captured in Philippians 3:17-21. Let’s fill in “Today’s Thought”. If this world is depressing and discouraging, don’t despair, there is a new day coming!


Today’s Thought:

If This World Is Depressing and Discouraging, Don’t Despair

There Is A New Day Coming!


Background and Context:

One of the Christian doctrines that I love the most is believers’ citizenship in heaven. The book of Philippians references this doctrine in Phil 1:27 and 3:20. In today’s sermon the idea of Christians being citizens of heaven will be explained in detail.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that we celebrated and remembered Veteran’s Day. Our Veterans stood proudly among us and we honored them with our applause. We do this to show our appreciation of their sacrifice. We applaud them because we know that, if called upon, they would be willing to lay down their lives for the sake of their countryman. It was our Veterans who provide for us today our freedoms. July 4, Independence Day, is a day filled with American flags. We gather together for fireworks, food, and fellowship. We do this to celebrate our country. We are all proud citizens of the United States of America. I have had the opportunity from time to time to travel abroad and I proclaim my American citizenship with great pride. As important as my citizenship is here on planet earth, it pales in comparison to my standing in God’s Kingdom. True, I proudly stand for our flag, I speak the pledge as a solemn oath, and I fix my eyes to the flag as I sing our national anthem. While I am a deeply proud American, I know my primary pledge is to my King Jesus and for Him I sake all others. There is no greater allegiance than to Jesus. As much as I love my country, if she departs from her spiritual moorings and turns her back on the Judea-Christian principles that she was founded upon, my heart will steadfastly hold on to God and my feet will walk the way of Jesus. Why do I maintain this belief? Friend, we are citizens of heaven and no earthly authority trumps God’s sovereignty or providence. This is a great encouragement for us today because as our world spirals downward, as our culture crumbles around us, a new day is coming. Each day that we live here on planet earth is another step closer to Jesus’ return and His eternal Kingdom coming to a reality. So, let’s read from God’s Word this morning, Philippians 3:17-21. Let’s read about what it means to be a citizen of heaven.

Today’s Scripture:

Philippians 3:17-21 NLT


Philippians 3:17-21 NLT

17 Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example. 18 For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ. 19 They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth. 20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. 21 He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control.

Feature Faith and Follow Paul’s Perspectives!

I. Listen To The Wise vs. 17-18

Philippians 3:17-18 ESV

17 Dear brothers and sisters, pattern your lives after mine, and learn from those who follow our example. 18 For I have told you often before, and I say it again with tears in my eyes, that there are many whose conduct shows they are really enemies of the cross of Christ.


Illustration:

Listening is so important in life and crucial to make relationships work.

Let me give you a little brainteaser. If you have heard this before, please don’t ruin it for everyone else and just keep your thoughts to yourself. I’ll read the question and then you some time to think.

You are driving a bus. You go east 12 miles, and turn south and go 2 miles and take on 9 passengers, and then you turn west and go 3 miles and let off 4 passengers. How old is the bus driver? (Answer: How old are you?)


Point:

The Bible speaks continually about the importance of listening. In fact, the Bible is filled with warning to people who refuse to listen to wise counsel. If you are a fan of the King James Version of the Bible, you will read that the Bible tells the reader to “hear” which is a form of the word “listen” 550 times. The word “hear ye” is mentioned 31 times and the phrase “hear now” is stated 12 times. Jesus is heard saying “hear me” 5 times. 


Point:

In verses 17 and 18 of Philippians 3, Paul is encouraging the followers of Christ to listen and learn from the wisdom of older, experienced and mature believers. The Greek word that Paul is using for “follow” is skop-eh’-o. It is a command imperative. Paul did not say here, “Follow me and only me.” Instead he reminds the Philippians that in addition to the example of his own life, there are others who are walking the right path that Paul had instructed. Paul wants the Philippians to follow his example while also looking to other people who are walking on the right path. As a result, I think we need to find mentors in our world whom we can talk to, learn from, and follow.


Most of my adult life I have had mentors that have guided me both in the practical aspects of everyday living as well as the professional experiences that I have been through. Mentors have helped me do more with the small resources I have had. Leaders need mentors.

Point:

I have heard continually during my time as a pastor that people lack direction. “I just wish I knew what path to take”. If I had a dollar for every time that I have heard that statement. Friends, God’s will for your life is not meant to be a mystery. He wants you to know the way and He has provided so many wonderful ways for you to understand His will. If you feel that you are drifting, could it be that you are missing a Godly mentor. I want to encourage you today to find your “Jerry”. 


Illustration:

I met Jerry 11 years ago. I was a young pastor, 32 years old, and I had no idea what I was doing. I felt lost and alone. I felt that I needed help. I prayed. My pastor back home suggested that I find the longest tenured pastor in the area and ask him to be my mentor. The longest tenured pastor was Jerry Henry, the pastor at FBC Fairhope. I cold called Jerry on Monday afternoon and asked him if he would be willing to meet with me once a month. I asked him to pray with me. Teach me. Show me what I was doing that was good and reveal to me what I was doing that was wrong. Since that time, Jerry and I have built a long lasting friendship. I will tell you this right now, if it weren’t for Jerry Henry, I would not have made it in the ministry. He is responsible for any success I have had or any good that I have done. So, who is your Jerry? If you don’t have a Jerry, you need to find one!


Proverbs 28:6 ESV

Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.

Feature Faith and Follow Paul’s Perspectives!

I. Listen To The Wise vs. 17-18

II. Learn From The Wicked vs. 19

Philippians 3:19 ESV

19 They are headed for destruction. Their god is their appetite, they brag about shameful things, and they think only about this life here on earth.


Point:

Paul wrote these words shortly after the death of Christ. Written in a prison cell in Rome, Paul encourages the Philippians to use discernment when engaging with those who claim to know Christ but whose actions do not line up with Scripture. Many people have had their lives ruined because they hitched their wagons to the person instead of the promises of God. Even in Paul’s day, people were mesmerized by looks, power, prestige, and wealth. God is not impressed by such things. God looks to the heart where one’s character is found. These false teachers, leaders and believers are led only by their instincts, their passions, and their hungers. They have never conquered the flesh nor have they ever subdued their fleshly desires. Publicly they seem to have it all together. They are great speakers. Wonderful communicators. Their lives seem to be in order. They would pass the smell test of most anyone. Yet, privately they are amiss. They are flawed and because of sin, failure will eventually come for them. How do you know if you are in the faith? Does your life match up with Scripture? Do you read Scripture daily? Do you think about God’s Word regularly? Does the Word of Christ echo from your mouth and guide you as you walk? Understand, you will never perfectly live as Christ. However, we can strive to give God glory and grow in our relationship with Him. Again, beware of men who look the part but if you dig deeper, you will expose a lie.


Point:

Break down what Paul is saying. Paul maintains that even the wicked can offer lessons for those who believe in Christ. The wicked are always moving toward destruction. That is their path. Have you ever noticed that no one just wakes up an alcoholic, no one goes to work and states “I think that I am going to become an addict today”. That is not the way any of this works. Everyone is on a path. People are on a path to prosperity or on a path to destruction. Proverbs 14:12 states that “There is a path before each person that seems right, but it ends in death.” NLT All it takes is one drink, one weak moment, one lustful look, and these small things put you on a path to something large, life changing, and life altering. Examine the path that you are on today and ask yourself, is this going to lead to something good or bad. 


Next. Notice their passions. They are ruled by their appetite. Again, the Greek word being used here for appetite is “koy-lee'-ah”. It means that they are ruled by their bellies. Christians, we are to be led by the Spirit, not by our flesh. Galatians 5:16 NLT reminds us to “walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh.”


Now, notice their perversions. Paul tells the reader that these wicked people brag about shameful things. They use language is formatted as a curse, their humor is base, and they take the Lord’s name in vain. Friends, the fastest way that a person notices a witness for Christ is through the language we use. If you are surrounded by people who use course language, you speak cleanly. Let your language be filtered through the Gospel and I promise that people will notice. Ephesians 4:29 ESV reminds us “Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.”


Lastly, notice their perspectives. When I was a kid, I remember a show on MTV called “Cribs”. It was a show that toured the homes of celebrities, athletes, and music stars. In each episode, the viewers were treated to opulent houses, over the top cars, massive boats, and huge theaters. I remember how badly I wanted to live like these celebrities. The older I got and the more mature I got in Christ, the more I realized that all of that stuff was just…well…stuff. It was all fading, passing away, rusting and rotting. Deteriorating. As believers we should be making eternal investments. Luke 12:33 ESV again reminds us to “sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys.”


Recognize The Way of the Wicked

A. Notice Their Path “They are headed for destruction…”

B. Notice Their Passions “Their god is their appetite…”

C. Notice Their Perversions “they brag about shameful things…”

C. Notice Their Perspectives “and they think only about this life here on earth”

Psalm 1:1-6 ESV

Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law he meditates day and night. He is like a tree planted by streams of water that yields its fruit in its season, and its leaf does not wither. In all that he does, he prospers. The wicked are not so, but are like chaff that the wind drives away. Therefore the wicked will not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous; ...


Feature Faith and Follow Paul’s Perspectives!

I. Listen To The Wise vs. 17-18

II. Learn From The Wicked vs. 19

III. Look For The World To Come vs. 20-21

Philippians 3:20-21 ESV

20 But we are citizens of heaven, where the Lord Jesus Christ lives. And we are eagerly waiting for him to return as our Savior. 21 He will take our weak mortal bodies and change them into glorious bodies like his own, using the same power with which he will bring everything under his control. 


Point:

The Bible reveals that Jesus Christ is returning to earth. When He returns, He will bring an end to society as we know it and will open the door to an entirely new world! Terrorism, ethnic cleansing, religious and ethnic hatred and bigotry will all cease to exist!


War will be a thing of the past. Conventional, chemical, biological and nuclear weaponry will be destroyed and any usable parts will be reused to make useful instruments for the betterment of humanity. Jesus Christ and His faithful followers will teach everyone how to live in true peace and harmony! 


Point:

Friends, the older I get the more I look forward to heaven. All the problems of this age, all the issues and troubles of our times will melt away and boy, that will be amazing won’t it? What will the Kingdom of God do for you? What do all young people have to look forward to after the return of Jesus Christ? Everything—including a brilliant future filled with peace and safety, families filled with love—children, parents and grandparents all working together and showing respect for each other. Again, the nature of animals will even be changed so they no longer pose any threat to human beings or each other—a perfect balance of nature! 


Point:

So brothers and sisters, keep your eyes tuned to heaven. Your eyes fixed on Jesus. 


Matthew 6:19-21 ESV

“Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal, but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.


Praise The Lord, We Are Citizens of Heaven!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty