Everything is Awesome & Nobody Is Happy: Head In Heaven, Feet To The Floor

 Everything is Awesome

&

Nobody Is Happy


Head In Heaven, Feet To The Floor


Opening Illustration:

How many of you in here this morning have ever been accused of being a “day dreamer”? When I was a kid, and I know that this is hard to believe, I was diagnosed with ADD. That’s Attention Deficit Disorder. I really struggled in school. I didn’t make great grades, especially in junior high school. I can remember sitting in class and while the teacher was talking, I was thinking about anything and everything under the sun. I had all sorts of weird thoughts like:


“Ive heard that adult life is super hard but when Im an adult, at least I won’t have to do P.E. anymore.”


"It’s likely that over 99% of trees that I look at will be still here when Im dead."


"Most people aren't scared of being alone in the dark — they're scared of not being alone in the dark."


"4 a.m. is the hour where you’re either up really late or really early."


I experienced that last one on Wednesday because I woke up at 4 a.m. to start my day. I can tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that 4 a.m. is early. I know that the Bible states that God never sleeps but there is a real part of me that believes that if God did sleep, He would certainly be asleep at 4 a.m. 


Ok, that’s enough day dreaming for one morning. Now I have all of you thinking of these sort of random Stuart thoughts. You can see why I wasn’t that great of a student. I spent most of my time with my head in the clouds. 


Apparently, I am not the only one. Our world has been filled with day dreamers. There was a study conducted by Harvard psychologist that found that we all tend to daydream about 47% of the time. There have been several people credited with changing the world that were also day dreamers: Thomas Edison, Mark Twain, Walt Disney, and Albert Einstein to name a few. In fact, a simple Google search reveal to me that the lyric “feet on the ground, head in the clouds” has been sung 6,838 times, by 83 artists over 50 albums. 


Well, you can add one more person to the day dreamer category and that is Paul the Apostle. Paul was a man who longed for a place and dreamed of a day. He longed for heaven, to be with his Savior. He looked forward to the day where all the troubles of this world were at an end. He dreamed about endless worship, a society devoid of materialism and racism, and a home that would be eternal. While he dreamed of that day, he realized that sadly his feet were firmly planted on earth. Why? Why would God implant such glorious thoughts in Paul’s mind only to have him crash back to earth? Well, we will examine that this morning. Before we do, fill in these blanks. Christian, are you a day dreamer longing for heaven, or a day doer looking to carry out the great commandment and great commission?


Today’s Thesis:


Christian, Are You A Day Dreamer or A Day Doer?


Background and Context:

Paul is in jail in Rome. He is living in squalor, looking towards his impending death. The letter that he is writing will most likely be his last. He is chained to a Roman guard. He is fed one paltry meal a day and is dependent on his friends to smuggle in the rest of his food. His clothing is tattered. Chances are he doesn’t even own a pair of shoes. He knows that it will not be to much longer till his life is poured out like a drink offering. He has made peace with that and he has decided to channel his energy into doing more productive things. Paul begins to think about where he has been, what he has done, where he is now, and he is aching for his final destination. He dreams of heaven, of being with Jesus but as he blinks his eyes his vision restores to him a sense of where he has been placed. His nose is filled with the putrid smells of body odor, stagnant water, and rotten bodily functions. If you or I were Paul, I think that we would dream of heaven as well. While Paul dreams of the afterlife, he understands that God has him here for a reason. There is a reason for Paul’s season and there is a reason why you are enduring your trails and suffering today. Your suffering is telling a story of God-like proportion. Paul understood that his pain was pointing others to Jesus and the same holds true with you as well. So, let’s read from Philippians 1:20-26 this morning and learn a few lessons from Paul’s imprisonment. 


Today’s Scripture:

Philippians 1:20-26 NLT

20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.


25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. 26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.


3 Determinations From Paul’s Daydream…


I. A Fear of Death vs. 20

Philippians 1:20 NLT

20 For I fully expect and hope that I will never be ashamed, but that I will continue to be bold for Christ, as I have been in the past. And I trust that my life will bring honor to Christ, whether I live or die. 


Point:

Again, remember where Paul is, he is in a horrible jail cell in Rome. He is facing certain death. He has already been through tragedy and hardship and now it appears that his life is coming to a martyr’s end. How would you respond? I dare say that not many of us would look forward to death. Even though we are believers, none of us would dare sign up to be the first in line to be martyred. Cleary in verse 20 Paul is thinking about the coming conclusion to his life. He tells the church that he will never be ashamed of Christ or the Gospel. He communicates to them that as long as he is alive that he will continue to be bold for Christ. Lastly, he talks about his legacy. He prays that when others think of him and remember him that his life will point others to Christ. He wants his tombstone to read “Paul, an Apostle of Christ, He Brought Honor to Christ.” Does this not sound like a man thinking about death? Of course it does.


I have three children. I have a soon to be 16 year old who feels like he is invincible and that nothing in this world can hurt him. I have a 12 year old who feels like the world is his oyster. I have a 9 year old who believes that everywhere he goes is a stage for him to sing and dance. 15, 12, and 9! I can tell you right here and now that death is the furthest thing from their mind. Death seems to be so far out in the future that they would be tempted to say that it may not even exist. I am 43 years old. I am past my prime. I have shot past the half way point of my life. My hair is getting gray. I have wrinkles forming in the corners of my eyes and for some strange reason, I am sore when I wake up in the morning. I have hair growing in weird places that it should not grow and I have hair falling out where it should be growing. I am getting older and the older I get the more I think about death. 


Point:

Paul thought about death. It is normal and natural to think about death. Jesus thought about death too. If Paul and Jesus thought about death than it’s ok for you to think about it as well. Have you ever heard the statement, “you’d better hang on for dear life”? It means that life is fleeting and that we better make the most of every day. Here is what separates how Paul viewed death and how we view death. Paul was not afraid of death but many of us are afraid of death. We fear losing relationships, we fear separation. There is something unknown about death to many of us but Paul knew that this life was not all that there is, there’s more. 


Point:

God often reminds us of our immortality in order that we prioritize eternal things rather than temporal things. The other day I was running early in the morning and I was watching an old movie entitled “Dead Poets Society” starring Robin Williams. Mr. Keeting, played by Williams, was an English teacher at an all boys school in the early 1950’s. He had several unorthodox teaching methods which included having the young men step out into the hallway to look at pictures of young men long gone and lost to the ages. He informs these young, impulsive, invincible young men that one day they will be food for daffodils. He teaches them the old Latin phrase “Carpe Deim” which means “Seize The Day”. It means make the most of the precious time you have been allowed. 


Point:

Paul, in his letter to the Philippians looked to his past, thought about his present, and considered his impending death. Death for Paul was nothing to be feared but it became something that motivated his faith to march forward. 


Brothers and sisters, our time is limited, While it may be a depressing point, are you like Paul investing in the eternal or are you wasting your time watching squirrels?


James 4:14 ESV

Yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.


3 Determinations From Paul’s Daydream…


I. A Fear of Death vs. 20

II. A Fear of Delay vs. 21-24

Philippians 1:21-24 NLT

21 For to me, living means living for Christ, and dying is even better. 22 But if I live, I can do more fruitful work for Christ. So I really don’t know which is better. 23 I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me. 24 But for your sakes, it is better that I continue to live.


Point:

So, as Paul thinks about his coming death, he looks at his options. How exactly should he pray? Should he ask God to quicken his death? In doing so, God ushers Paul into His kingdom. Paul knew full well what God’s eternal kingdom would offer. God’s Kingdom is something that we should all long for. 


Have you ever wondered what heaven will look like?


In a word, it will be indescribable.


Even Paul didn’t have words to describe it: “No eye has seen, no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him” (1 Corinthians 2:9 NLT).


Right now, we live on a broken planet. Nothing works perfectly, and yet there’s still a lot of beauty in it.


Imagine what it will be like to be in absolutely perfect place—with perfect sights, sounds, and smells. Our TV version of heaven with fog up to the knees, angel wings, and white everywhere is a pale comparison. Heaven won’t be boring!


The more pain, sorrow, abuse, violence, and prejudice we see on earth, the better heaven starts to seem in our minds. We have so much to look forward to.


Paul knew that his death would be a terrific gain. No more beatings, whippings, or shipwrecks. No more lies told about him. No more false accusations. Everything that he had been preaching would suddenly be vindicated and proven right. Paul really wanted that day!


Point:

So should Paul pray that the Lord hasten his death or should he pray that God leave him here to work? Paul was a man of great fear in this moment but he was not afraid of what you might think. He was not afraid of death. He was afraid of God’s work, the Lord’s ministry, being delayed. He was afraid that if he were gone that some might not hear the life changing truth of the Gospel. He was afraid that his ministry would stop, that the church would stop growing, that people would not hear the Good News, and that people would die separated from Christ. That is a righteous fear. Paul literally tells us that he is torn in two by these two desires. He so desperately wants to be with the Lord but he knows that he should stay to do the work that Christ has called him to do. 


Point:

Have you ever heard the statement that “some people are so heavenly minded that they are no earthly good”? Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. is said to have said the statement. The same sentiment found its way into a song by Johnny Cash: “You’re shinin’ your light, and shine it you should, / But you’re so heavenly minded you’re no earthly good”. The accusation that some Christians are too heavenly focused and therefore not paying enough attention to earthly matters is based on a false premise, namely, that love of God makes one less capable or less concerned with the practical affairs of the world. Being “heavenly minded” does not result in isolating oneself from the world, ignoring contemporary issues, or declining to be involved. Just the opposite: being heavenly minded results in attempting to please God, who has given us work to do in this world.


Brothers and sisters, our problem as Christians is that we are so heavenly minded that we are not earthly good. Our biggest problem is that we are so earthly minded that we are no earthly good. Self professing Christians need to more time with a heavenly mindset rather than focused on worldly gains. 


In Matthew 6:10 Jesus is quoted saying “your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.” Friends, Jesus is literally saying that it should be our daily goal to bring heaven to earth. Meaning that we are standing in behalf of heaven on earth. 


Point:

Devoted Christians such as John Newton and William Wilberforce and worked tirelessly to abolish the slave trade in England. Christians such as missionary Lottie Moon, philanthropist George Mueller, and journalist Robert Raikes rescued children in peril, founded orphanages, and established schools. History is full of Christians who positively impacted the world. Their motivation was not simply the need for social reform; rather, they were compelled to do what they did by their strong faith in Jesus and their heavenly focus. It is the very fact that Christians are “heavenly minded” that causes them to help others while spreading the life-changing truth of the gospel.


Point:

Brothers and sisters, we cannot delay. Like Paul, we must realize that there is work that needs to be done. We must impact our world, our sphere of influence. If you are a teacher at Daphne High School, impact Daphne High for Christ. If you are a real estate agent, operate with the highest moral standards for the glory of God. If you work at a cement company, let Christ be heard in your vocabulary. If you are retired, let God use your new found free time to bless you by helping Him grow His Kingdom. 


II Corinthians 4:18 ESV

We look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal.


3 Determinations From Paul’s Daydream…


I. A Fear of Death vs. 20

II. A Fear of Delay vs. 21-24

III. A Fear of  Decline vs. 25-26

Philippians 1:25-26

25 Knowing this, I am convinced that I will remain alive so I can continue to help all of you grow and experience the joy of your faith. 26 And when I come to you again, you will have even more reason to take pride in Christ Jesus because of what he is doing through me.


Point:

As I was preparing to transition out of student ministry and into the role of a pastor, my former pastor gave me some wise words. He told me, “Stuart, you cannot expect your church to grow beyond you.” Meaning that I cannot expect Eastern Shore Church to have a deeper walk with Christ than my walk with Christ. I cannot expect you to grow a deeper, wider, and stronger faith that I possess. That is why I have dedicated my life to God’s Word, reading it daily, writing, journaling, producing devotionals, and study. I do these things so that this church can grow with me. This does not mean that I am perfect or beyond mistake. Hardly. Still, it would be hypocritical for me to ask you to go to a place that I am incapable of going. It would be hypocritical for me to ask you to grow to a depth that I am unable to achieve myself. 


In fact, one of my greatest fears as a pastor is that our church would decline. I want our church to grow numerically of course. I want even more for our church to grow spiritually. Sometimes a church grows spiritually before it grows numerically. In fact, spiritual growth is what God often uses to till the soil for numerical growth. 


Point:

Paul remained alive so that the church could continue to grow spiritually and numerically. Paul understood that if Christ was working in him that chances are that Christ would work in the church. Brothers and sisters, spiritual decline should keep us up at night. Fathers, your sons are looking to your relationship with Christ as their example. Mothers, your daughters are looking to you to lead them to having a deeper walk with Christ. What are we teaching them? What are we showing them? Are we showing them what Christ is doing in our life as Paul hoped and desired? Or, are we displaying spiritual immaturity and Biblical illiteracy leading to a stagnant faith. 


3 Signs of Spiritual Decline


A. Disregard For God’s Word


B. Departure From Prayer


C. Disengage From Fellowship


D. Divorce From Worship


Point:

I think that there are 3 things that lead to spiritual decline. I think that a disregard for God’s Word is the first step. I think that a departure from the discipline prayer is the next step. I think when we disengage from fellowshipping with believers and the church also leads to spiritual decline. Lastly, when we divorce ourselves from worship, our spiritual life suffers. 


Friends, do you know the worst part of spiritual decline? It happens slowly. You probably won’t even realize it. It starts with compromise. 


I dont have to read my Bible everyday. 


I forgot to pray today but it doesnt matter.


 I bet that the people at church didn’t even notice that I was missing. 


I dont need to go to Life Groups today. 


I just went to the beach this one Sunday, it’s no big deal. 


It starts off small, slow, barely noticeable. The next thing you know, your marriage is in shambles, your addicted to something, your relationship with God is off the rails and your job is thinking of letting you go. 


You are probably thinking “but preacher that is an extreme, that will never happen to me”. Youre right. It is extreme and I have seen it literally dozens of times right here at Eastern Shore Baptist Church. 


Let me close with this last illustration:


Illustration:

"Isaac’s Storm" is a very interesting book about the hurricane that wiped out Galveston in 1900. One of the main plot lines of the book is about how everyone was convinced that a hurricane could never strike Galveston, even as one approached. The author vividly describes how as the streets began to flood people went about their business as if nothing was wrong. Children played in the water, men gathered for breakfast at the local diner, and no one fled from the storm that was about to strike.


Some didn’t worry because Issac Cline, the national weather service officer in Galveston, assured them it would not be a severe storm. Other’s simply believed that Galveston was invincible. Some thought that since they had never seen a hurricane strike Galveston one never would. So for a number of reasons, people assured themselves nothing bad would happen. And as a result over 6,000 people died one September day in 1900.


Today we can see storm clouds forming on the horizon. There is a moral and spiritual decline that continues to erode our national life. The warning signs are there for us to see--the signs that Jesus is coming soon. They beckon us to return to the Lord and seek refuge in Him. How will history look back on what we did as the storm approached?


I John 1:8-10

If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.


Turn This Information Into Your Inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty