According To Luke: Whipping Worry

According To Luke: Whipping Worry

Opening Illustration:
At the time it was completed in 1937, the Golden Gate Bridge was the longest suspension bridge in the world. During the first phase of the project, 23 men fell to their death. There were very few safety devices, and things seemed to be going from bad to worse.




So when it was halfway completed they decided to take another look and to make some changes. Here is what they did. They reorganized and they built the largest net ever made and attached it under the area where the men were working. Was it worth the cost and the time it took to do that? Well just ask the 10 men who fell into the net! Not only did it save the lives of those 10 men, the work was actually done sooner than planned because they no longer lived in fear of falling.

Point:
After reading that story, I realized that is the way that many Christians live. They live in fear that they may fall and faulted and that no one will be there to catch them. So, they life a life of worry and anxiousness. Do you know what fear and worry can do to a believer? Fear and worry can render a believer powerless and pitiful. Fearful Christians who are in the grip of worry are paralyzed. They cannot make decisions. They can’t move on and they cannot let go. Many times, Christians who are in the shadow of fear have skewed perceptions of the world. They perceive the actions of others incorrectly and they hear the words of others and feel that they are hidden meanings. Oh friends, I have met people so racked with fear that they hang on to grudges. Fearful worriers are often times gripers. They can be cantankerous. If you look over the course of Jesus’ ministry, you will discover that fear and worry are two things that He deals with most. The people of Jesus’ day were fearful of Rome. They were afraid about where they would find their next meal, their next job, their next home. They were fearful and anxious for their children. Sound familiar?

This morning, I want you to do something for me. I want you to take out your order of worship and fill in this blank. Where it says “I’m afraid of…” I want you to fill out the rest. What is bothering you this morning? Is it a health issue? Is it a troubled marriage? Is it a problem with your son or daughter? Could it be ailing parents? An issue at work? If we are all honest, we can admit that all of have something that we are afraid of, so let’s address that issue today!

I’m Afraid Of…


Point:
This morning, I want to ask you an important question. Has worry captured you? Do you find yourself worrying all the time? Do you feel that fear controls you? Maybe you are like those workers on the Golden Gate Bridge. You are paralyzed by fear, slowed down by it’s effects. It controls your life. Well pull close this morning and listen to these words. If you connect to Christ, He will cancel out those concerns. He will detour your road from fear to faith. 

Has Worry Captured You? Does Fear Control You? 
Connect To Christ and Cancel Your Concerns!

Background and Context:
Just before these words captured in Luke 12:22-31, Jesus was warning the crowds: “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; life does not consist in an abundance of possessions” (Luke 12:15).

Now Jesus speaks to his inner circle of disciples, and he has some very direct but reassuring words to tell them about their attitude to life, to worry, to trust, and to the kingdom. His words come with significant reasons to banish worry and approach life with a very positive attitude!

If you remember, last week we heard the parable of the rich fool. He worked his entire life to gain more and more wealth and then suddenly, he died. All of the things that he toiled forever trying to gain were lost. Jesus taught a very different attitude to life and it’s priorities. Jesus wants us to turn out attention to things of eternal nature, not temporal pleasures. Jesus wants to remind us all that running after the things of the world will only leave us empty. It seems that the more we gain, the more we really lose. 

So, let’s open our Bibles to Luke 12:22-31 and discover what God has in store for us today. 

Scripture:

Luke 12:22-31 ESV
22 And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 25 And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life? 26 If then you are not able to do as small a thing as that, why are you anxious about the rest? 27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Whip Worry By Examining Our…

I. Attitude To Life And Its Priorities vs. 22-24
Luke 12:22-24 ESV
22 And he said to his disciples, “Therefore I tell you, do not be anxious about your life, what you will eat, nor about your body, what you will put on. 23 For life is more than food, and the body more than clothing. 24 Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds! 

Illustration:
At a nursing home in Florida a resident group was discussing ailments. "My arms are so weak I can hardly life this cup of coffee," said one.

"Yes I know, my cataracts are so bad I can't even see my coffee," replied another.

"I can't turn my head because of the arthritis in my neck," said a third. At which several others nodded weakly.

"My blood pressure pills make me dizzy," another one went on. "I guess that's the price we pay for getting old," winced an old man. "It sure beats the alternative."

"Well, it's not that bad," said one woman cheerfully. "Thank goodness we can all still drive!"

Point:
Sounds like these folks have their priorities out of wack. Considering their condition, perhaps driving should not be their main concern. What about us? What about our priorities? Have you ever had priorities out of wack? I know that I have. Many times. It seems that whenever it happens, the readjustment is often painful. 

Point:
Jesus taught a very different attitude to life and its priorities: “…do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. 

For life is more than food, and the body more than clothes” (vs. 22-23).

Those were bold words. The crowd he had just finished addressing were farmers and fishermen, or people who scraped a living from making things others might buy. No one was a rich fool because no one was rich. Almost all these people were very poor, potential victims of a bad harvest or a night of fishing without catching any fish.

How could they not worry about having food to eat or clothes to wear?
Jesus’ answer was simple but startling:

“Consider the ravens: they neither sow nor reap, they have neither storehouse nor barn, and yet God feeds them. Of how much more value are you than the birds!”

That answer would have amazed people. They knew their Old Testament and Leviticus 11 lists creatures the people were to regard as clean and unclean. It’s a long list! From verse 13 of Leviticus 11 God details the unclean birds. Eagles, vultures, kites, owls, gulls, hawks, cormorant, osprey, stork, heron and bats are all there. And right in the middle, in verse 15, God lists “any kind of raven.” The ravens were on the banned list.

Yet, Jesus tells the people that day, “God feeds them.” God ensures ravens have life. They’re unclean, and they don’t grow crops or store grain, but God gives them water and food. God cares for them.

And Jesus says: ‘You are so much more valuable than any bird, so, if God cares for even unclean birds like ravens, isn’t it obvious he will provide even more for you? If God cares for the lesser won’t he care for the greater? And you are so much greater than birds.’

His point, of course, is this: ‘Therefore don’t make your life about possessions. Don’t make your goal even the basic necessities like food and clothing. If God provides for any of his creatures, he’ll certainly provide for you.’

Philippians 4:19 ESV
And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.

Whip Worry By Examining Our…

I. Attitude To Life And Its Priorities vs. 22-24
II. Attitude To Worry And Its Pointlessness vs. 25
Luke 12:25 ESV
And which of you by being anxious can add a single hour to his span of life?

Illustration:
There have always been people who have believed in telekinesis. Telekinesis has its roots in the idea of mind over matter, as if an object can be moved from one side of the room to another just by the power of the mind. No scientific basis for that ability has ever been established.

Jesus debunked mind over matter ideas centuries earlier. “Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life?” (v. 25).

Point:
Let me tell you what your pastor worries about? First and foremost I worry for the church. I worry about things like “is the church growing”, “are enough people coming to Christ”, “is our programing reaching the lost”. I also worry about the things that surround the church. I say things like this in my head, “are we going to make budget”, “will we be able to keep the lights on”? Then I think about big events like the Pastor’s Conference and State Convention, “will we have enough people volunteer” and “I sure do hope that this will be successful”. Then I go through times where I worry about time. If only I could have one or two more hours to prepare for that sermon. Then, like most of us, I worry about other people. “Does that person like me”? “Is that person mad at me”? You know, just worries. Oh, and I have not even talked about my wife, my boys, and stuff outside of church. Am I alone in this. Am I the only one who worries like this? Raise your hand if you struggle with worry.

Whew, good, you all were looking at me like I was the only one. 

This is what I have discovered. Worry does not make the church grow. Worry does not lead anyone to Christ. Worry about events does not help them reach lost people. Worry does not help us make budget. Our lights are not powered by my worry. Worry does not increase our volunteer base and my sleeplessness about events will not make them any better but it can make them worse. Did you know something, worry has never added a single hour to my day. It has never given me more time but it has taken plenty of my time and distracted me from important things. Also, worry has never built a relationship, healed a relationship, or made anyone like me. Worry has also never informed me whether or not someone liked me or if they were mad at me. 

Point:
Friends, brothers and sisters, worry is just no good. It is utterly pointless. Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow, it only saps today of its joy. Worry often gives a small thing a big shadow. 

So, what is the answer to worry? How can we rid ourselves of it? We must pray. Every time you begin to worry, you must pray and give that care to Christ. I will tell you a little secret, you will never get rid of worry. It is like an annoying houseguest that won’t go away. You may not be able to get rid of him, but you can clean up his mess. Most of us will battle worry forever. It will be a battle. But every battle can have a benefit. We can let worry drive us to pray. When we pray we get closer to Christ. When we get closer to Christ, we worry less. Trust me, the more you pray, the less you will panic. 

Philippians 4:6 ESV
Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.

Whip Worry By Examining Our…

I. Attitude To Life And Its Priorities vs. 22-24
II. Attitude To Worry And Its Pointlessness vs. 25
III. Attitude To Trust And Its Prize vs. vs. 27-28
Luke 12:27-28 ESV
27 Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. 28 But if God so clothes the grass, which is alive in the field today, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 

Illustration:
I was out last week from a surgery which afforded me a lot of time to watch TV. One of my favorite TV shows is Seinfeld. I watched one episodes and thought that I might share a scene with you. Check it out. (Play Seinfeld-Who Wants To Have Some Fun)

Kramer asks an important question. You can see his excitement. "Do you guys want to have some fun!" George and Jerry say "Sure." And then Kramer says "Do you really want to have some fun? Or are you just saying you want to have some fun?" And Jerry says "I really want to have some fun." And George says "I was just saying I want to have some fun." Kramer reveals his plans and neither men participate. Even Jerry, who says that he wanted to have fun, just leaves Kramer behind in his apartment. At least George was honest. He was just saying that he wanted to have fun, he did not really want to participate. 



Did you know that God asks every human being a very important question? Every human being! God asks, “do you trust me, or are you just saying that you trust me.”

If you trust Him, you will do what He says, no matter how foolish or impossible it seems and you will leave the results to Him. 

If you are just saying that you trust God, you will live your life centered around you. You will invest in temporal things and be bothered by temporal things. 

Brothers and sisters, those are really our only options, we either embrace faith, or we fear. 

Point:
Worry carries no power to help or provide, but God has all the power and all the love both to help and to provide. Jesus said:

“Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you—you of little faith!” (vs. 27-28)

Everyone who listened to Jesus knew that King Solomon was immensely wealthy with palaces filled with objects made from pure gold. No other king had the splendor of Solomon.

But, Jesus says, the flowers you see growing wild are more beautiful than even Solomon. They didn’t apply their own makeup – none of their splendor is their own work. Everything that makes those flowers so lovely is God’s doing. One day, when they wither, you’ll gather up that grass and throw it into your ovens as fuel to bake your bread. And Jesus says: ‘If God takes great care to beautify flowers with such a short life, then how much more he will do for you.’

The God who provides for the birds of the air and the flowers of the fields will provide for the children he has made and placed in his world, and so much more than for any other part of his creation. God can be trusted and that trust brings a great reward.

Psalm 56:3-4 ESV
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?

Whip Worry By Examining Our…

I. Attitude To Life And Its Priorities vs. 22-24
II. Attitude To Worry And Its Pointlessness vs. 25
III. Attitude To Trust And Its Prize vs. vs. 27-28
IV. Attitude To The Kingdom And It’s Preeminence vs. 29-31
Luke 12:29-31 ESV
29 And do not seek what you are to eat and what you are to drink, nor be worried. 30 For all the nations of the world seek after these things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31 Instead, seek his kingdom, and these things will be added to you.

Point:
From the very start of this section Jesus was talking to his disciples (v. 22). His teaching about an attitude which shuns worry and invests in trust was realistic only for those whose lives were surrendered to God. So, Jesus says, while the pagan world – people with no faith – will relentlessly pursue what to eat and what to drink, you have no such need because you can be sure your Father already knows and will provide (vs. 29-30). You have a much more important focus for your life: “But seek his kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well” (v. 31).

Another time (Luke 15:11-24) Jesus told the story of a young man who struck out on his own to get away from his father. He took a lot of wealth with him and spent it on anything his heart desired. But the friends he made disappeared as soon as the money did, and he was reduced to menial farm labor. Now he hated every moment of his poverty-stricken life. But he came to his senses, and returned to his father who was overjoyed. The boy rejoined the family, and everything that was good for him to have became his again. His priority was right. His relationship with his father was right. And because of a right priority and a right relationship, he had everything he needed.

Jesus’ point here is similar. Seek first the king and the things that belong in his kingdom, and everything you need day by day will be yours as well.

An earthly father who loves his children will give them affection but also all the practical necessities of life, because love does that. Jesus gave an illustration about God’s love based exactly on that truth:

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone?  Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!” (Matt. 7:9-11)

Earthly parents provide for their children. Your heavenly Father will provide even more. You are in his family. You belong to him, and he cares for you very greatly indeed.

Our priority is not the things of this world and getting as much of them for ourselves as we can. Our priority is putting God’s kingship, his kingdom, above all else, and trusting him to provide whatever we need.

Closing Illustration:
I have clear memories from when I was very young of traveling to Tuscaloosa and Birmingham to watch Alabama play football. Back in those days, going to a football game was a much more formal event. I can remember my parents dressing me and my brother in coats and ties. Its true. Hard to believe. I can remember my first visit to Bryant Denny stadium. As we exited the tunnel I was blown away. The stadium probably held around 80,000 people at the time. I had never seen so many people. I remember walking the quad with my Dad and him pointing out all the significant buildings and dorms. I remember eating. Boy did I eat. I remember having a blast with not a care in the world. Here is what I do not remember about that day. I remember nothing practical. I remember none of the details like how we were going to get there. Who would pay to get in? Would we have enough money to eat? How was I going to see what was happening? Did we have enough money for gas to return home? How was I going to pay for a t-shirt or souvenir? I don’t remember any of that. Everything just worked out perfectly. Do you know why? Do you know why I didn’t worry?

I was with my Dad. Dad new the plan. He had the means to carry it out. He cared for me and that was enough. 

So much more our heavenly Father cares for us. He knows our every need and loves us through and through. We don’t have to worry about the details because if we are with Him, everything will work out perfectly. Our Father’s care is truly enough. 

Jeremiah 29:11 ESV
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.


Embrace Faith Not Fear! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty