According to Luke: Ain’t Skeered

According to Luke: Ain’t Skeered 

Opening Illustration:
I am a native to Alabama. How many of you were born and raised in Alabama? Wow, a bunch of you. Well being born and raised in Alabama, we all know that we have a particular brand of culture that some parts of the United States just don’t get. A few years ago, I had a friend from up north visiting with us here in town. He marveled at the beauty of the Eastern Shore. He loved the Bay, the weather, and the people were so hospitable. As we were driving he noticed a decal on an old Dodge truck. He looked at it for a moment and then asked his bewildering question. “Stuart, what does ‘aint skeered’ mean?” 

Do you know what it means? If you are a southerner, you probably get it. It means “I’m not scared”. Us Alabamians infuse that statement with a touch of redneck and it comes out “aint skeered”. 




I am not sure when this slogan took off but I do know that it is taken from the popular “No Fear” slogan that popped up in the early 2000’s. Again, someone from the south liked the No Fear campaign and decided to add a bit of hick to it and out popped out aint skeered. 

No Fear is actually a clothing line that was developed by a group of race car drivers in the late 1980’s. It was developed for athletes and sold to popular sporting good stores. It took off in the late 90’s and picked up steam in the early 2000’s. The idea was to celebrate bravery, being courageous, being calm in moments filled with pressure, and standing your ground as an underdog. NO FEAR! You can imagine why people were drawn to the brand. It was a tool of motivation. Have no fear! 

Yet, sometimes fear is good. Fear is helpful. After all, God did give us the powerful emotion of fear for a reason. That is why I will never go skydiving. That is why I will never play Russian Roulette. That is why I don’t wrap myself in bacon and throw myself into a lion’s den. Fear is often used to protect us and to keep us alive. 

Having no fear can be down right dangerous. 

The other day I was reading a story about Savannah Webster, her sister Kelsea and their friend Essa Ricker. All three girls were teenagers. According to their parents, the girls were desperate to receive “likes” on Instagram. So they began to take pictures in extreme places. This was the last picture they took and the last picture they ever posted. The caption of the picture reads “taking a picture with a train…how awesome!”. In the background of the picture you can see the light of the train barreling towards them. The train blasted warning after warning. The girls, desperate to get an even closer picture, never moved. They were all three killed instantly. In this case, no fear, led these three to their end. 



You see, there are two types of fear. Fear that protects and prolongs and fear that leads to death and destruction. There is a no fear mentality that reveals character and calling, and another no fear mentality that reveals foolishness and folly. This morning, let’s learn about fear that is harmful and fear that is helpful. 

Todays Lesson: Fear Can Be Harmful and Healthy!

Background and Context:
This morning we discover Jesus talking and teaching His disciples. If you remember, Jesus has just given some harsh words to the Pharisees. He has called them out on their deceptive teachings. Jesus maintains that the teachings of the Pharisees lead people to death and destruction. He has called them snakes, vipers, white washed tombs and open graves. It is their teachings that keep people locked in the shackles of sin and despair. Their teachings give no hope of redemption, no hope of salvation. The people were living in darkness. Their religion was dark. They were oppressed by Rome, and oppressed by the religious disease of the Pharisees. The followers of Christ were constantly afraid. They were fearful of Rome and fearful of the religious elite. Today, Jesus comes to these followers and attempts to set them free from the fear that has captured them. So, let’s read together from Luke’s Gospel, chapter 12, verses 4 through 7. Today, I am reading from the English Standard Version. 

Scripture:

Luke 12:4-7 ESV
4 “I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do. 5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! 6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. 7 Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Is Your Fear Misplaced, Menacing, or Meaningful?

I. A Harmful Fear vs. 4
Luke 12:4 ESV
4 “I tell you, my friends, do not fear those who kill the body, and after that have nothing more that they can do.

Illustration:
A young couple very much in love were getting married in church. However, Sue the wife was very fearful about the big occasion, and so the Pastor chose one verse that he felt would be a great encouragement to them. I John 4:18 which says “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear”. Rather unwisely, the pastor asked the best man to read it. The pastor felt that this would be a most appropriate verse for the wedding. However, the best man was not a regular churchgoer and  he did not know the difference between John’s Gospel and the first letter of John. So he introduced his reading by saying that the pastor felt this was a very apt verse for Sue. But he read John 4:18 instead of I John 4:18, which says, “You have five husbands and the one you now have is not your husband.” Perhaps the bride’s fear was not misplaced. 

Point:
Jesus tells His followers not to fear those who can kill the body. The Greek word being used for “fear” is φοβέω, and is pronounced fo-be’-ō. If that word sounds somewhat familiar to you, it is because that is where we get our word phobia. It means so much more than simply fear. The words means to be so frightened that you run away. It means to be seized with alarm. It is the kind of fear that paralyzes us. It means to hesitate. 

To capture a visual of what Jesus is saying, imagine that you driving down a dark dusty road. On the side of the road you see a deer. Not just any deer. You see a massive buck. His antlers are large and numerous. This buck is tall, strong, and is clearly the leader of the pack. As that mighty buck looks up, his eyes catch your headlights. This impressive animal is transfixed. Not a muscle moves. He is completely paralyzed because his brain cannot process what he is seeing. 

Literally, a deer in the headlights. 

Point:
One of the most powerful motives in human behavior is the fear of the impending loss of your life. The fear of death will cause us to visit an emergency room with great haste, call the police, fire a weapon, hide or flee to a safe place. This will to live and defeat death causes people everyday to cancel air flights, take a cumbersome detour or seek professional protection. Police officers wear bullet-proof vests, men who work at risky heights use safety equipment and drivers enroll in defensive driving. We do not want to be killed. There is a natural human impulse to stay alive.

Jesus said, "do not be afraid of those who kill the body." Is Jesus telling us that the above typical cautions are unwise and faithless? Do His words recommend that we have no concern, no fear, no bother over the threat of death? No.

Point:
The point that Jesus is making is that there is something worse than physical death. Jesus is revealing to His followers that death, our physical death, is not something that we should fear. Especially if you are believer. Death, while none of us want to usher it in, is nothing to be fixated on. 

Point:
Jesus understood that His followers would face trials, obstacles and instances of death. Jesus is encouraging His followers to remain brave, be courageous, have no fear, and don’t be paralyzed under the weight of unhealthy fear. 

Point:
Church, listen to what God told to Paul concerning fear and worry. 

Romans 8:31-39 ESV
31 What then shall we say to these things? If God is for us, who can be against us? 32 He who did not spare his own Son but gave him up for us all, how will he not also with him graciously give us all things? 33 Who shall bring any charge against God's elect? It is God who justifies. 34 Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us. 35 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or danger, or sword? 36 As it is written,

“For your sake we are being killed all the day long;
    we are regarded as sheep to be slaughtered.”

37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 38 For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, 39 nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

What about David? David certainly had a lot to fear. It seemed that everywhere David looked people were trying to kill him. Listen to what God told David. 

Psalm 27:1-3 ESV
The Lord is my light and my salvation;
    whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the stronghold of my life;
    of whom shall I be afraid?
2 When evildoers assail me
    to eat up my flesh,
my adversaries and foes,
    it is they who stumble and fall.
3 Though an army encamp against me,
    my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
    yet I will be confident.

Point:
Isn’t that great news today. Sure, we will face hardship, disease, death, difficult times, but we have nothing to fear. Even if our very lives are taken, that is not the worst thing that can happen. No, it does not mean that we court death, but we can count on God. So, what are you afraid of this morning? Is it a situation at work? Is it a bully at school? Don’t fear what any one person can do to you. God is not in the business of leaving you or abandoning you. 

Isaiah 41:10 ESV
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.

Is Your Fear Misplaced, Menacing, or Meaningful?

I. A Harmful Fear vs. 4
II. A Helpful Fear vs. 5
Luke 12:5 ESV
5 But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him! 

Point:
I did some research in preparation for today’s sermon and discovered that there are over 180 verses, from Genesis to Revelation, that talk about the fear of the Lord. What does this mean? It means that nearly every character in the Bible, at some point or another, struggled with fear. 

Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Joshua, David, Jeremiah, Esther, Mary, Joseph, Peter, Paul… everyone. They all struggled with fear! Yet, we just established that the followers God have nothing to fear. At least we should not place fear on an earthly thing. 

Jesus tells us that if we fear earthy obstacles, then our fears are misplaced. Rather, we should be fearful of God. The Bible says this over and over again. Perhaps one of the most classic verses in the Bible that encourage this through is Proverbs 9:10. 

Proverbs 9:10 ESV
The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and the knowledge of the Holy One is insight.

Point:
Wait preacher, doesn’t God love us? If God loves us, then why should we fear Him? I don’t understand. 

That is a great question. A valid point. The answer is that loving God is also fearing God. Loving God means respecting God. 

Illustration:
Now I want to give you an analogy that I hope will help you understand this concept of the fear of the Lord. It helps me. Okay… here we go. I have been a parent since December 20th, 200. I know that this blows you all away because I am so young looking. How can it be that such a young, good looking man can already be a father. Its true. 

A foundational philosophy of my parenting can be summed up in these words…
“The fear of dad is the beginning of knowledge”. Yes,that’s right, one of the first things I wanted my kids to do was to fear me. Hey, stick with me now, keep walking with me because this will all make sense in a minute. Again, an essential core of my parenting philosophy for 13 years has been, ‘The fear of dad’. If you asked any one of my 3 kids, I am pretty sure they would back me up on this.

Fear of Dad can be a simple look with my Dad eyes, raised eyebrows, and the tone of my voice. So, why do I want my kids to fear me? Is it because I am some mean freak, a kill joy who likes to dominate and control those who are smaller and weaker than myself? 

Of course the answer is no.

It’s because I love them. It is because I want to protect them. It is because I know things that they can’t see or understand. It is because I have tasked by God to guide them physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. 

I want them to fear me so that they will listen to me if they run out into the middle of a busy street, or if they want to touch the pretty red circles on top of the stove, or if they are dating someone that is pushing them to cross unhealthy boundaries. 

Some children fear their father for the wrong reason. My kids do not fear me because they are being abused or harmed. They fear me because I have been deputized by God Himself to be their parent first, and this sometimes means that I am not their pal. It means that I am in charge of punishing only to correct behavior. Remember, I said that fear of Dad is a parenting philosophy. I did not say it was the parenting philosophy. There is still love, support, concern, security, protection and friendship. 

Point:
Does God love us? Of course He does. Should we have a healthy fear of God? Absolutely yes! Why? 

Read Isaiah 40:25-26 with me this morning. 

Isaiah 40:25-26 ESV
25 To whom then will you compare me,
    that I should be like him? says the Holy One.
26 Lift up your eyes on high and see:
    who created these?
He who brings out their host by number,
    calling them all by name;
by the greatness of his might
    and because he is strong in power,
    not one is missing.

Point:
We fear God because of His unequaled power and authority. In Genesis 1 we hear the first words spoken to creation, “Let their be light”. He generated the universe that is still expanding and growing today. Scientist say that the furthest galaxy from our is 13 billion light years away. God’s presence is here with us as well as being 13 billion light years away. He has no equals. No rivals. He has no cracks, no worries, fears, dilemmas, struggles, peers or competition. His will will always be done. No one can contain him or stop him. 

Point:
The Bible tells us that there are tremendous benefits to fearing the Lord. Sadly, I don’t have time to read each verse, but I will tell you what they say. 

• The angel of the Lord encamps around them – protecting them

• They lack nothing

• His Salvation is near them

• He pours out His love and compassion on them in abundance

• He gives them wisdom on how to live life to the fullest

• He fulfills the desires of their heart

• He protects… And is secure fortress and refuge for both them and their children

• They are led into a new life, a better life

• He gives them wealth and honor and life

• He continually extends his mercy to them

Besides all those consider some of the terms that God uses to describe the relationship that He has with those who fear Him, God calls them - His child - His bride - His friends!

Is Your Fear Misplaced, Menacing, or Meaningful?

I. A Harmful Fear vs. 4
II. A Helpful Fear vs. 5
III. A Hopeful Focus vs. 6-7
Luke 12:6-7 ESV
6 Are not five sparrows sold for two pennies? And not one of them is forgotten before God. 7 Why, even the hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear not; you are of more value than many sparrows.

Point:
I love my children and chances are so do you. As much as I love my kids, I have do not know the number of hairs on their heads. What does Jesus even mean by that statement? Jesus is saying that God knows us so intimately, so personally, so creatively that He knows the very number of hairs on our heads. 

Jesus is saying, don’t focus on fear, rather focus on faith. There is no need to have an improper, abusive fear of God. Hardly, God loves us and our love for Him should be born from respect and awe. 

God encourages his followers to fear not 365 times in the Bible, one for each day of the year. God didn't intend for Christians to spend their days preoccupied with anxiety and worry.

Point:
Everyone has fears. Your problem isn’t that you’re afraid. It’s what you do with the fear that really matters.

Jesus tells us in John 8:32 NIV, “You will know the truth, and the truth will set you free”

I could share at least a dozen biblical ways to get over fear, but here are two ideas you can start with right now.

Practice the presence of Jesus. Learn the habit of reminding yourself every single moment of the day, “God is with me.” Practice talking to him all the time—when you’re walking down the street, getting in your car, or even taking a bath. When you do that, you will realize he’s always with you. You don’t have to “spend some time”with God.All your time can be “God time.” When you become aware of God’s presence in your life, fear will go away.

When God is near, you lose your fear. Why? Because God is love, and the Bible says: “There is no fear in love. But perfect love casts out all fear” ( I John 4:18 NIV).The more you feel loved by God, the less you’ll fear.

Move against the fear. You can’t go around, over, or under fear. You must go straight through it. You need to do what you fear the most. That’s called faith. You need to open the door of the closet and see for yourself that the bogeyman isn’t as big as you thought he was.

Fear is always worse than reality. The fear of failure is worse than failure. Failure is no big deal. You just get up and start over. The fear of rejection is worse than rejection. The fear of embarrassment is worse than embarrassment. Why? Because the fear goes on for hours and days and years. Fear is “False Evidence Appearing Real.” Fear is a fake.

Conclusion:
Instead of fear, practice faith. Another way to remember faith is to say, forsaking all, I trust Him. Trust Jesus today. 

Forsaking All I Trust Him!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty