According to Luke: Who Do You Say That I Am?

Opening Illustration:
A few years ago I heard a story about a Missouri man who spent nearly 17 years behind bars for a robbery that he never committed. Finally, after a long 17 years, this man had all charges dropped and he was immediately released. This man who was wrongly accused is named Richard Jones. The man who actually committed the crime was also named Richard Jones, although he went by Ricky. Both men are 41 years old and share the same birthday. Both men also lived just a matter of blocks apart and had never met. 


When the police looked at the film footage from the robbery, they thought they were witnessing Richard Jones commit the crime when in actuality it was Richard Ricky Jones. Both men were the exact same height, the same weight and were nearly identical even though they were not related. Eventually Ricky was jailed for another crime and rumors began to swirl about the two men. The inmates rallied around the innocent Richard Jones and lawyers were called in. Finally, a hearing was granted and Jones was released. There was no DNA, fingerprint or other physical evidence that linked Jones to the crime, and prosecutors had only used eyewitnesses’ testimonies to convict him. 

Point:
Now that is a horrible case of mistaken identity. Yet, it shows the value of knowing the real identity of someone doesn’t it? 

Are you like me and struggle with identifying people? Maybe your recognize a face but can put the name to them? Perhaps you are familiar with names but you forget faces. I remember growing up and going to school everyday and seeing my teacher day in and day out and then I would be out with my family and see my teacher at a restaurant or at the grocery store. I remember being sort of shook that my teacher did something other than just teach and that she lived somewhere else other than school and that she had a real life. Her identity was not always tied to being my teacher or to the school. 

Point:
Today, Jesus is going to ask a very important question about His identity. “Who do people say that I am”. The disciples are going to tell Him that His is a case of mistaken identity. People are not really sure. They think they know but they are not really positive. Then Jesus will make it more personal. Who do you say that I am? You see, those questions are really important. What do others think about my identity and what do you think about my identity. Good questions. 

Point:
Answer this statement this morning. What you say about Jesus says a lot about you doesn’t it. If Jesus was just a good fella doing right by others then we are not forced to tailor our morals around His standard. If he was just a teacher then we don’t have to submit to Him and obey Him. However, if He is God incarnate, then we have to make some really big decisions don’t we? If He is our creator, then we have to come to grips that He is the authority, that we must obey Him, and live our lives according to His standards. 

What You Say About Jesus Says A Lot About You!

Background:
In Luke’s account there are some things left out between verses 17 and 18.
Luke didn’t tell us (as a matter of fact only John does) that after Jesus preformed this great miracle of feeding 5,000 that people intended to come and make Jesus King by force, and Jesus knowing there intentions withdrew to a mountain by himself.

The next the 12 saw him it was dark and a strong wind was blowing.The sea had become rough and they were battling with their oars with all of their might to get to the other side. Suddenly they saw a figure walking on the water towards their boat. At first they were afraid, but when Jesus told them who it was they were willing to take him into the boat. Once Jesus was inside the boat as the word of God tells us in John 6, the boat immediately arrived at the shore the 12 were desperately trying to reach.

When they arrived the crowd that had ben fed just the other day found him and it was then that Jesus preached that great sermon telling how he was the bread of life and how people must fed on him if they want eternal life. Scripture tells us that it was a hard teaching and after it the multitudes left him and no longer followed him. Jesus turned to the 12 and said are you guys leaving too to which Peter replied “you have the words of eternal life and we know you are the Holy one of God.”

From there Jesus had some heated encounters with the Jewish leaders they demanded a sign form Jesus to prove who he was but Jesus refused and walked away from this confrontation. He and the disciples get into a boat and head across the Sea of Galilee Toward the northeast taking His disciples with Him. That is where we pick up today. We discover that Jesus is praying and He poses to them an interesting question. Let’s read together. 

Scripture:

Luke 9:18-20 ESV
18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” 19 And they answered, “John the Baptist. But others say, Elijah, and others, that one of the prophets of old has risen.” 20 Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”

Jesus’ Question Reveals…

I. The Crowd’s Confusion vs. 18-19
18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” 19 And they answered, “John the Baptist. But others say, Elijah, and others, that one of the prophets of old has risen.”

Point:
With the New Year upon us, many of us have made the resolution to get in shape and loose some pounds. Preacher included. I have been doing a lot of reading and studying on diet and I am a bit confused. It seems that what I thought was good for me is bad for me and what I used to think was bad for me is now good for me. A few years ago people said don’t eat eggs because it will make your cholesterol go up. Now I am reading that eggs are good for me and that I need to eat more. A few years ago there was a war on butter, I needed to eat margarine instead. Now it seems that butter is bad. Chocolate was no good a few years ago and now it seems that chocolate can ward off acute myocardial infarction, otherwise known as a heart attack. 

Point:
You know our world is not just confused about health and wellness, it is very confused over religious matters as well. As Biblical literacy declines and experiential worship increases, people are less and less knowledgable about who they are actually attempting to worship. 

George Gallup is quoted saying “Americans revere the Bible–but, by and large, they don’t read it. And because they don’t read it, they have become a nation of biblical illiterates.” Ill go one step further, without Biblical knowledge, you cannot possess Jesus knowledge. Without Jesus knowledge, we are left to our own flawed thinking when deciding who He really is and what He really desires. 

Let me repeat. 

Without Biblical knowledge, you cannot possess Jesus knowledge. Without Jesus knowledge, we are left to our own flawed thinking when deciding who He really is and what He really desires. 

Fewer than half of all adults can name the four gospels. Many Christians cannot identify more than two or three of the disciples. According to data from the Barna Research Group, 60 percent of Americans can’t name even five of the Ten Commandments. “No wonder people break the Ten Commandments all the time. They don’t know what they are,” said George Barna, president of the firm.

Point:
Strangely, Wikipedia can give a better explanation of who Jesus better than most Christians. “The Gospel of Matthew emphasizes that Jesus is the fulfillment of God's will as revealed in the Old Testament, and he is the Lord of the Church. He is the "Son of David", a "king", and the Messiah.”

Point:
When asking any given person who Jesus is you will receive many answers. Some will say that He was a teacher. Others would say that He was a good man. Some might claim that He was a charlatan performing fake miracles. Rabbi. Master. Blasphemer. Really, who was this guy and why is He such a big deal?

Point:
No other person has ever attracted such attention, devotion, criticism, adoration, and opposition as Jesus Christ. He is the focal point of all theological discussions. Philosophers and historians have studied Him. He lived in the flesh about 2,000 years ago in the small country of Israel. Yet for centuries His birthday divided the years into “B.C.” and “A.D.”

You can look at your watch at any time, and millions of people will be studying His word. His ministry lasted only three brief years, yet His message travels around the world by radio and television. He had no formal education, yet His life caused the founding of more colleges, seminaries and universities than any other. Multiplied thousands of schools, hospitals and orphanages have been built in the name of Jesus Christ.

To explain Him is impossible. To ignore Him is disastrous. To refuse Him is fatal. My speech is too limited to describe Him, my human mind too finite to comprehend Him, my heart too small to contain all the love that the Lord Jesus has.

To know the answer to “Who is Jesus?” we must go to the divinely inspired Word of God. Philippians 2:6-11 is a wonderful place to begin, because of all we learn about the Lord Jesus in this passage.

Philippians 2:6-11 ESV
6 who, though he was God, did not demand and cling to his rights as God, 7 but laid aside his mighty power and glory, taking the disguise of a slave and becoming like men. 8 And he humbled himself even further, going so far as actually to die a criminal’s death on a cross.

9 Yet it was because of this that God raised him up to the heights of heaven and gave him a name which is above every other name, 10 that at the name of Jesus every knee shall bow in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 and every tongue shall confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Point:
Scripture is pretty clear who Jesus was and is. What did Jesus claim about Himself? Jesus uses the distinct name of “I AM” or Jehovah in Hebrew numerous times in the book of John. So much so that John is often referred to as the I AM Gospel. Jesus claimed equality with God in John 5:17-18. 

John 5:17-18 ESV
17 But Jesus answered them, “My Father is working until now, and I am working.”

18 This was why the Jews were seeking all the more to kill him, because not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

Jesus even affirmed His deity to His followers in John 14:7-11 and 20. 

John 14:7-11 and 20 ESV
7 If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you do know him and have seen him.”

8 Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” 9 Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? 10 Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works. 11 Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or else believe on account of the works themselves.

20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you.

Point:
Friends, while the world is confused as to who Jesus is, may it never be said of the church. Yet I fear with more and more Christians laying aside their Bible, the identity of Jesus is being called more and more into question. We have men and women speaking for Jesus while not knowing Jesus. We have so called believers claiming to know the heart of Christ without fully grasping who Jesus is and what He really commands. 

Jesus’ Question Reveals…

I. The Crowd’s Confusion vs. 18-19
II. The Disciple’s Comments vs. 18-19
Luke 9:18-19 ESV
18 Now it happened that as he was praying alone, the disciples were with him. And he asked them, “Who do the crowds say that I am?” 19 And they answered, “John the Baptist. But others say, Elijah, and others, that one of the prophets of old has risen.”

Illustration:
It seems that everyone has an opinion today doesn’t it? You don’t have to go far, just pick up your smart phone, open an app, check your email, you find opinions everywhere. The question is how informed are those opinions.   

I know that this is hard to believe, but as I pastor I get a lot of opinions. Some solicited. Some not so much. Its to cold. Its to hot. Music is to loud. It’s not loud enough. Those are pretty minor opinions and comes with the territory. No big deal. 

I recently was sent an email with some opinions from children to their pastor. I thought they were pretty funny so I thought Id share with you.  

Dear Pastor, I would like to go to heaven someday because I know my brother won’t be there. Stephen. Age 8

Dear Pastor, I know God loves everybody but He never met my sister. Yours sincerely, Arnold. Age 7

Dear Pastor, I think a lot more people would come to your church if you moved it to Disneyland. Loreen. Age 9.

Dear Pastor, Please say a prayer for our Little League team. We need God’s help or a new pitcher. Thank you. Alexander. Age 10

Dear Pastor, Are there any devils on earth? I think there may be one in my class. Carla. Age 10

Dear Pastor, I liked your sermon on Sunday. Especially when it was finished. Ralph, Age 11

Point:
Well Jesus asked and the disciples shared the opinion of the crowd! They said that the crowds felt that either Jesus was the second coming of Elijah or John the Baptist. Oddly enough, Jesus and John lived at the same time so that’s sort of a weird thought. Something else interesting is that Elijah and John were both dead. Really dead and they were not coming back. Why did they think that Jesus could be one of these men? 

Their response reminds me of an old song by Bonnie Tyler. You probably don’t remember her but you will remember the song. 

Song:

Where have all the good men gone
And where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss and I turn
And I dream of what I need

I need a hero 
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night
He's gotta be strong
And he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight

I need a hero
I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light
He's gotta be sure
And it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life!

Point:
When the disciples responded to Jesus’ question, they replied with that the crowds were desiring. They were wanting a hero. They were wanting a rescuer. They were wanting someone to come and set them free and turn the tables on the Romans. 

Point:
Here is the thing, the people had set their sights and hopes to low. They thought that no one could come and be better and bigger than Elijah, John The Baptist or one of the prophets. They did not know that Jesus was the hero they were really looking for. 

Point:
Here is the application point for us today. If Jesus was the hero then, He is the hero now. Many came after Jesus and never measured up. Some tried to get the balling rolling before Jesus, they failed too. Jesus stands alone and no one else matches up. There is no politician or party that will impact your life the way Jesus can. There is no athletic figure that has ever lived that measure up to Jesus exploits of strength. There is no philosopher who ever had a deeper understanding of humanity than Jesus. No other person has saved more lives, changed more outcomes, impacted more people, than Jesus Christ. 2000 years later, people still regard Him as the central figure of history. The Jews deny Him, the Muslims minimize Him, the world is confounded by Him. But here is the point, they are still talking about Him. Can we say that for our lives? Chances are in the next 2000 years, no one will remember my name, but they will still be talking about Jesus. You can take that to the bank. 

Who is your hero? In many cases, we are our own hero and the center of our own universe. Don’t set your sights so low. Trust me, make Jesus the hero of your life today!

Revelation 22:13 ESV
I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Jesus’ Question Reveals…

I. The Crowd’s Confusion vs. 18-19
II. The Disciple’s Comments vs. 18-19
III. Peter’s Confession vs. 20
Luke 9:20 ESV
20 Then he said to them, “But who do you say that I am?” And Peter answered, “The Christ of God.”

Point:
Suddenly, without warning Peter pipes up with perhaps the most powerful and yet simple confession in the entire Bible. “The Christ God”! 

I know that this seems sort of obvious to us today as we have heard this story over and over but what Peter did was effectively drop a nuclear bomb of religious proportions. 

The Greek for what Peter said is Christos theos. Peter said that Jesus was the anointed one. The Messiah. The King of Israel. Peter in calling Jesus the Christ delivered a bombshell to the religious system. No one thought that Jesus was the Christ. Peter did and he owned it. Peter’s claim that Jesus was the Christ was akin to blasphemy and made him worthy of being a fugitive. 

Peter spoke from his heart. Peter’s confessional was the most personal of all the disciples. You see, what the crowds think of Jesus is inconsequential to Jesus. Jesus wants to know who we think He is. Peter’s confession was powerful. I can imagine that all the other disciples sat there slack jawed over what Peter just said. I can see Simon the Zelot sitting there drinking his wine and when Peter claimed that Jesus was the Christ God, he probably sprayed it out his mouth. 

Point:
So what about you, who do you say that Jesus is? Do you know God’s Word well enough to all Jesus to speak for Himself? If you don’t pick it up and download it today. Start reading and let Jesus tell you exactly who He is. Of course you will have to make up your own mind and decide for yourself. 

John 1:14 ESV
The Word became a human being and, full of grace and truth, lived among us. We saw his glory, the glory which he received as the Father’s only Son.


Who Do You Say I AM?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty