The Gift: The Gift of Revelation!

The Gift: The Gift of Revelation!



Opening Illustration:
A new pastor was visiting the homes of some of the people in his congregation. He came to one house and he knocked but there was no answer. He could see the lights were on and it seemed very obvious that someone was home, so he knocked again. When there was no response, he took out a note card and simply wrote on it Revelation 3:20 and stuck it in the door.

The next Sunday after the offering was passed he found someone had put his note card in the plate. He looked at it to see that they had added to it a cryptic message saying simply: Genesis 3:10. The pastor grabbed his Bible and opened it to the verse cited and began to laugh.

Revelation 3:20 begins: "Behold I stand at the door and knock." Genesis 3:10 reads: "I heard your voice in the garden, and I was afraid for I was naked."

Point:
Now that is a revelation isn’t it? You know we are exiting a season of revelation. Your kids get excited about this time of year because of what was revealed to them on Christmas morning. They eagerly awoke and ran to the tree and found presents wrapped in beautiful paper. They had no idea what was in them did they? They were waiting on that special time where they could tear into those packages to see what they contained. Christmas morning is a powerful time of revelation for kids. 

Background:
If you remember, we have been on a journey though John 1 during the Christmas season. 4 weeks ago we talked about the first gift that Christ has given to us. Life and animation. Our very being, our life and breath is a gift from Him. Second, we talked about the light of life that has shown through the darkness of our world. Jesus is illuminating and revealing. God’s third gift in John 1 is Jesus’ love. Jesus loves you. He died for you and came for you. Last week, we talked about freedom. Jesus offers to us this morning salvation within reach. This morning, the final week of this Christmas season, we will conclude this sermon series by talking about the revelation of Christ. John tells us a good bit about Jesus and how Jesus is the ultimate revelation of God in flesh.  

This Christmas God Wants To Gift You With
Animation, Illumination, Affection, Liberation, and Revelation!

Scripture:
So, let’s take a moment and read from John’s Gospel, open your Bibles to John 1:18. 

John 1:18 ESV
No one has ever seen God; the only God, who is at the Father's side, he has made him known.

According To John, God Is…

I. Evasive 
John 1:18 ESV
No one has ever seen God…

Point:
Do me a favor this morning and flip to the Old Testament book of Exodus 33:12-23. Moses has been commanded to leave Mt. Sinai and led the Israelite nation into the Promised Land. Moses, while a great leader, was really a big worry wart. He was constantly doubting in his ability and whether or not God could actually use him despite himself. So, he has this interesting conversation with God. Let’s read it together. 

Scripture:

Exodus 33:12-23 ESV
12 Moses said to the Lord, “See, you say to me, ‘Bring up this people,’ but you have not let me know whom you will send with me. Yet you have said, ‘I know you by name, and you have also found favor in my sight.’ 13 Now therefore, if I have found favor in your sight, please show me now your ways, that I may know you in order to find favor in your sight. Consider too that this nation is your people.” 14 And he said, “My presence will go with you, and I will give you rest.” 15 And he said to him, “If your presence will not go with me, do not bring us up from here. 16 For how shall it be known that I have found favor in your sight, I and your people? Is it not in your going with us, so that we are distinct, I and your people, from every other people on the face of the earth?”

17 And the Lord said to Moses, “This very thing that you have spoken I will do, for you have found favor in my sight, and I know you by name.” 18 Moses said, “Please show me your glory.” 19 And he said, “I will make all my goodness pass before you and will proclaim before you my name ‘The Lord.’ And I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and will show mercy on whom I will show mercy. 20 But,” he said, “you cannot see my face, for man shall not see me and live.” 21 And the Lord said, “Behold, there is a place by me where you shall stand on the rock, 22 and while my glory passes by I will put you in a cleft of the rock, and I will cover you with my hand until I have passed by. 23 Then I will take away my hand, and you shall see my back, but my face shall not be seen.”

Point:
So, what just happened here? Moses wants to see God’s face. He wants God to reveal Himself to Moses. Have you ever wanted that? I have! Imagine the assurance we would all have if God just pulled back the veil from this physical reality and displayed Himself for all to see! Wow, that would be awesome. 

Well, God grants Moses’ request…sort of. He tells Moses that no one can see his face and live. John remembers this and even states that no one has ever seen God in verse 18. Why is God so elusive? Why can we not see Him?

Point:
What is John trying to communicate here in the first chapter of His Gospel. Why can we not see God for who he is? Why did Moses only get to see His back, not his face. Well, this is the answer! No one can see His face and continue to be revived and strengthened by natural means. No one can look directly at the Creator of Genesis 1 and simply call it a nice experience. Looking into the face of God can change us in such dramatic ways that our previous life is destroyed. But isn’t that what we want; to be dramatically changed?

In this context, Moses asked to see God’s glory and in essence He said, “ok but not My face revealed in full glory of My goodness. If that happens, you will be so radically changed on every level that no one will relate to you and I need you to lead Israel to the land I promised.” So Moses simply saw His back, and even then he collapsed in worship. We later can see how dramatic the change could have been as Moses continues to meet with the Lord on the mountain and in the tabernacle. As a result, Moses’ own face became a source of fear for Israel and needed to wear a veil with speaking to Israel. Sometimes, we do not see the full revelation of the Lord so we can still relate to those that need our love and friendship.

Point:
Today, we have access to that glory and even more so. Paul writes about this very thing in 2 Corinthians 3:12-18 and says Jesus is what lifts the veil to see God’s glory more clearly. It is His way of making us like Him.

2 Corinthians 3:12-18 ESV
12 Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, 13 not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. 14 But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. 15 Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. 16 But when one turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Point:
In John’s day and before John, people felt that God was removed, distant, unable to be perceived. No longer. God would reveal himself in a powerful way, showing His face through Jesus Christ himself. Jesus would not just pass by but fully live among people. 

Job 9:11 ESV
"Were He to pass by me, I would not see Him; Were He to move past me, I would not perceive Him.

According To John, God Is…

I. Evasive 
II. Exclusive 
John 1:18 ESV
the only God…

Illustration:
You probably knew this about me, but I love superhero movies. One of my favorite films is the very first Avengers movie. There is a scene where Captain America is about to jump from a plane to do battle with Thor. Black Widow tells Captain American that he better “sit this one out” because Thor is a “god”. Captain America responds by saying, “Theres only one God, and I am pretty sure he does not dress like that”. So true. There is only one God.

Point:
I don’t doubt the sincerity of people who believe in many gods and goddesses; I have traveled in Europe and Asia and met many people searching for truth believing that there are many gods. I have also found in our conversations that many of them are honestly searching for the truth.

At the same time, as a Christian, my heart goes out to them, because I know they will never find what they are seeking as long as they stay on that road. Only the one true God can satisfy the deepest longings of the human heart, and only He can give us answers to our deepest questions about life and death. The Bible says, “Do men make their own gods? Yes, but they are not gods!” (Jeremiah 16:20).

Why do I believe in one supreme God instead of many gods? One reason is because it is logical. Where did the world come from? No idol could make us, nor could a thousand different gods and goddesses with limited power. Only God could make us—one who is all-powerful, all-knowing and all-loving. As the Bible says, “The heavens declare the glory of God” (Psalm 19:1).

But I also believe in one supreme God because He has revealed Himself to us! He has not left us to guess what He is like; He has shown Himself to us. He did this supremely by coming down to earth in the person of His only Son, Jesus Christ. I invite you to give your life to Christ, for in Him alone “are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge” (Colossians 2:3).

Point:
Not only is there one God, but His name is Jesus!

Acts 4:12 ESV
And there is salvation in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.

According To John, God Is…

I. Evasive 
II. Exclusive 
III. Established
John 1:18 ESV
who is at the Father's side…

Illustration:
The story is told of an old lady who had moved to the United States from Europe when she was a child, but now she wanted to officially become a citizen of this country. After months of going through all the necessary red tape, she was finally ready to take the required oath.

"Raise your right hand, please." She raised her right hand. "Do you swear to defend the Constitution of the United States against all its enemies, domestic or foreign?" was the first question.

The little old lady's face paled and her voice trembled as she asked in a small voice, "Uhhh...all by myself?"

Point:
Of course it was not expect that she defend the US all by herself. Isn’t it good news that we are not expected to walk this life all by ourselves either. We have someone at the right hand of God. That someone being Jesus. The theological term for Jesus being at the right hand of the Father is Latin and called Dextera Domini. Even today most people are right handed. It is seen as the dominant hand. Jesus is in a position of dominance. Jesus is often seen at the right hand of the Father because it reckons His power and omnipresence, omnipotence, and omniscience.  Having Jesus at the right hand also places Him in the utmost position of honor and prestige.  Therefore, what we can say is that "God's right hand" refers to the Messiah, the LORD Jesus Christ and He is of equal position, honor, power and authority with God (John 1:1-5). The fact that Christ is "sitting" refers to the fact that His work of redemption is done and when the fullness of the gentiles is brought in (Romans 11:25), Christ's enemies will be made His footstool as the end of the age comes, all prophecy is completed, and time is no more.

Because Jesus Is At The Right Hand of God, He Is To Be…

A. Worshipped
Psalm 89:13 ESV
You have a strong arm; Your hand is mighty, Your right hand is exalted.

B. Trusted 
Psalm 63:8 ESV
My soul clings to You; Your right hand upholds me.

C. Heeded 
Psalm 139:10 ESV
Even there Your hand will lead me, And Your right hand will lay hold of me.

Romans 8:34 ESV
Who is to condemn? Christ Jesus is the one who died—more than that, who was raised—who is at the right hand of God, who indeed is interceding for us.

According To John, God Is…

I. Evasive 
II. Exclusive 
III. Established
IV. Exposing
John 1:18 ESV
he has made him known.

Illustration:
Blaise Pascal, the French mathematician and philosopher, wrote "there is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of every man that cannot be filled by any created thing but only by God, the Creator, made known through Jesus."

Point:
Jesus did something that no one else could do, He put a face to God. He revealed in bodily form the very nature, the very character of the Creator. 

Illustration:
A few years ago my wife and I went to China. The very first place we visited was the Forbidden Kingdom. The Forbidden City is in Beijing and sits adjacent to Tiananmen Square. The Forbidden City is a series of gates. Each gate houses living quarters, servants quarters, and temples. All dedicated to the Emperor of China. At the very back, furtherest from the people, is where the ancient Emperors of China lived. No one ever saw them. Yet, the Emperors affected the lives of the Chinese people in horrible ways. They viewed the every day man in China as worthless. They saw them as a work force or something to give them pleasure. The Emperors were really horrible to their own people. 



When we were touring the Forbidden City, I was struck at how secluded the Emperor would have lived. Hardly seeing anyone because he felt that he was a god. Not so with our one true God. He came in bodily form and did not consider living behind walls, guards, and royalty. He lived with us, exposing God to us, and teaching us how to live. 

Where the Chinese Emperor had his people die for him daily, our King laid down His life down for us as a servant. It really is amazing when you stop to think about it. 

Point:
You might be thinking how great it would be if Jesus showed up today. I agree, I would love to see Jesus face to face. That would be quite the experience. Then I started thinking about it and I realized that I see Jesus all the time. I see Jesus in you!

I see Jesus when Brenda Taylor tutors children struggling in math. 

I see Jesus when Don and Beth Lee visits the sick, the suffering, the homebound and those in nursing homes. 

I see Jesus when Josh Raybon comes to the church late at night and opens the gym for kids who have no where else to go and lets them play basketball. 

I see Jesus when Nita Trammell shows up early to cook, when Pat and Diane clean, when Ed Counselman works tirelessly, and when Bryant puts his arm around the drunk the parking lot looking for somewhere warm to sit. 

I see Jesus in Drew and Allison Baxter pick up kids and bring them to church every week. 

I see Jesus when Marsha Scarbourgh teaches God’s word through song to our young people. 

I see Jesus when Roxanne McCory changes a diaper in the nursery. 

I see Jesus everywhere shining through all of you and I hope that you see Jesus shining through me. 

Point:
You see, Jesus didn’t just reveal God during His earthly lifetime. Hardly, He is still revealing God through your service to the Kingdom. 

John 14:9 ESV
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and you still do not know me, Philip? Whoever has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, ‘Show us the Father’?


Make Revealing Christ A Priority in 2019!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty