According To Luke: Amazing Faith


According To Luke: Amazing Faith

Illustration: Charles Blondin

Can you imagine a tightrope stretched over a quarter of a mile and spanning the breadth of Niagara Falls?  The thundering sound of the pounding water drowning out all other sounds as you watch a man step onto the rope and walk across!

This stunning feat made Charles Blondin famous in the summer of 1859.  He walked 160 feet above the falls several times back and forth between Canada and the United States as huge crowds on both sides looked on with shock and awe.  Once he crossed in a sack, once on stilts, another time on a bicycle, and once he even carried a stove and cooked an omelet!


On July 15, Blondin walked backward across the tightrope to Canada and returned pushing a wheelbarrow.

The Blondin story is told that it was after pushing a wheelbarrow across while blindfolded that Blondin asked for some audience participation.  The crowds had watched and "Ooooohed" and "Aaaaahed!"  He had proven that he could do it; of that, there was no doubt.  But now he was asking for a volunteer to get into the wheelbarrow and take a ride across the Falls with him!

It is said that he asked his audience, "Do you believe I can carry a person across in this wheelbarrow?"  Of course the crowd shouted that yes, they believed!

It was then that Blondin posed the question - "Who will get in the wheelbarrow?'

Of course...none did.

Point:
Blondin’s story is a picture of faith isn’t it. Jesus had done far more than what Blondin achieved and had demonstrated His power over and over. Yet, when it came down to it, very few people were willing to get in the wheelbarrow of faith. 

Point:
Friends, Jesus wants you to develop faith that works. Faith that can be seen and witnessed. 

Jesus Wants You To Develop Faith That Works!

Context:
Jesus has concluded His Sermon on the Mount. Now that some of His most important teachings are over, we are left with a “now what” mentality. What do we do with His teachings? How are we to respond in the wake of these new concepts that Jesus has delivered to us? This morning we are looking at the practical applications of Jesus’ word captured in Luke 6. 

Today, Jesus is moving toward Capernaum. Capernaum is in Northern Israel. It was built along the Sea of Galilee and had a population of about 2000 people. That is a fairly large city for those days. Capernaum was sort of the home base for Jesus during His years of ministry. Peter, Andrew, James and John all lived and worked in the city. 

While in Capernaum Jesus is introduced to a centurion. An officer of the Roman empire. Underneath his leadership was a minimum of 100 soldiers. This centurion was not a Roman, but he was also not a Jew. He was a Gentile man who most likely was pressed into service by Rome when his homeland was conquered. During his time in Capernaum he had become friendly with the Jewish authorities. Luke would call this man a “God fearer”. We also know that this man was tremendously considerate to Jesus. Following cultural prodigals, this man sent messengers of Jewish ethnicity to speak to Jesus. It was considered rude for a Gentile to speak directly to a Rabbi or Jewish teacher. 

Today’s story is about remarkable faith being displayed by this Gentile man. Let’s take a moment and read it together. 

Scripture:

Luke 7:1-10 ESV
After he had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. 2 Now a centurion had a servant who was sick and at the point of death, who was highly valued by him. 3 When the centurion heard about Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his servant. 4 And when they came to Jesus, they pleaded with him earnestly, saying, “He is worthy to have you do this for him, 5 for he loves our nation, and he is the one who built us our synagogue.” 6 And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. 7 Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed. 8 For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.” 9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” 10 And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well.

4 Features of Faith That Amaze Jesus! 

I. A Sensitive Faith vs. 1-2
Luke 7:1-2 ESV
After he had finished all his sayings in the hearing of the people, he entered Capernaum. 2 Now a centurion had a servant who was sick and at the point of death, who was highly valued by him.

Point:
Again, we are introduced to the centurion who has a very particular problem. His servant is sick. This man is near death and the centurion has run out of options. There is no medicine. There is no doctor. No hospital. This man is going to to die unless the centurion move into action and something miraculous takes place. 

Before we talk about the miracle, let’s discuss the man. We do not know much about this man outside of two things. He was a servant and he was sick. The Greek language tells us that he was a doo'-los. A doo'-los is a slave. In Roman society a slave was worth only what the slave master would pay for him. Slaves were a dime a dozen in the ancient world. If one slave died, no matter, go buy another one. Roman magistrates would very rarely waste their time medicating sick slaves. Most didn’t really care if a slave lived or died. Scripture infers thought that this was not just any slave, this man was a friend to the centurion. He was loved even though his social standing was less than that of his master. 

This man was a slave, but he was also sick. Scripture tells us that this man was near death. The situation was dire and getting worse. 

Somehow this slave curried favor with his owner. Luke tells us that he was highly regarded. Again the Greek word tells us that he was prized and precious to this Roman centurion. So much so that this centurion pleaded with Jesus to heal him and make him well again. This centurion was sensitive to the hurt that was around him. This centurion did not see this man as a slave but as a human being to be cared for, loved and given compassion. 

Practical Application:
I truly believe that a faith that moves Jesus is a faith that is responsive to the needs of those around us. It is a faith that sees hurting people and desires to help. It is a faith that is compassionate to those who have less than us, look different than us, are from different circumstances than us. I know that slavery does not exist in the US, but there are people who have very low social standing in our community. These are the forgotten ones. The homeless. The broken. The foster kid. The orphan. The drunk. The addict. These are the people that Jesus would go to first. The beaten down and broken. 

Question:
How sensitive is our faith? For some having a sensitive faith is being kind to the outcast kid at school. That kid that looks different, eats by themselves and does not seem to have a friend. For some it means that we are sensitive to the coworker going through divorce. Maybe its being merciful to someone who has offended you. No matter what the circumstance, Jesus loves a faith that is sensitive to the hurting people in your life. 

Psalm 34:18 ESV
The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.

4 Features of Faith That Amaze Jesus! 

I. A Sensitive Faith vs. 1-2
II. A Specific Faith vs. 3
Luke 7:3 ESV
3 When the centurion heard about Jesus, he sent to him elders of the Jews, asking him to come and heal his servant. 

Point:
The centurion got to the point. He went to Jesus with a specific request. Please heal my servant. Notice that it was not a demand but a request. However, God wants us to be specific in what we are asking of Him. 

So, how can we model the centurion’s action in our lives? Why is that God seems to respond more to our specific needs than when we offer up non specific prayers?

When Jesus taught his followers to pray, he could have said to pray, “bless us” or “help us.” But he didn’t. He said, “Give us this day our daily bread.” He urged his followers to be specific in prayer.
To his first followers, bread was central to life. It was a staple. A necessity. A lifeline. So Jesus said, “Pray for bread.” 

Praying for specific needs like that has several advantages: 

1)  Praying for specific needs clarifies our minds.
I can imagine Jesus responding to my prayers much as he spoke to Bartimaeus (Mark 10:46-52):

“Oh, Lord, have mercy on me.”
“What do you want me to do for you?”

“Please come to me.”
“What do you want me to do for you?”

“Please bless me.”
“What do you want me to do for you?”

“Help me.”
“What do you want me to do for you?”

“Well, what I really need is enough patience not to scream at my little boy who just spilled his juice all over the new carpet.”

“Ah, well, I can do that. I can also remind you to put a lid on his cup from now on.”

Maybe you don’t relate to God in quite that way. But I think Jesus’ instruction to pray specifically for our needs helps us to spell out and spill out what we really want to ask.  

2)  Praying for specific needs helps us define our needs.
Often in prayer I have asked God for something and soon have heard myself saying something like, “No, that’s not it exactly. It’s not that, but this other thing I really need.”
For example, “Lord, bless me” won’t lead me to recognize that I don’t need a raise as much as I need to say no to buying more stuff, or that maybe I don’t need a new co-worker but the wisdom, love and humility to resolve my conflicts with the one I have.

3)  Praying for specific needs emphasizes our dependence on and intimacy with God.
If I really pray for God to provide the bread I need today, I may be tempted to forget that “Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father.”
But if I pray for the things I need, I am not only reminded of that fact but am also drawn closer to my Father as I do “precisely what children do when they love and trust the one they call ‘Father’.”

4)  Praying for specific needs makes us more alert to answers.
If I pray for “blessings,” God may answer but I may not recognize the answer when it comes. But if, on the other hand, I pray for “bread”—or someone similarly specific—I will be more attentive and alert to the answer when it comes.

5)  Praying for specific needs increases our faith.
When you pray for specific needs, God answers those specific needs. When we are specific with our requests, we can easily track God’s responses. When you see God moving in your life because of prayer being answers, your faith cannot help but to grow. 

Point:
The centurion had a specific problem and in faith he brought that specific problem to the feet of Jesus. Jesus answered the specific request and answered it quickly. Perhaps God’s answers to us seem slow because we are not praying specific enough prayers and God is waiting for us to decided what we really need of Him to do.

Instead of praying, God make me a better parent, pray God help me to be patient with my kids and not yell at them for doing the same things I did as a kid. 

Instead of praying, God help me to be a better spouse, pray God help me to speak 1 encouraging word each do to my husband or wife. 

Instead of praying, God help me lose weight, pray God give me the energy and discipline required to wake up early to exercise, and not eat so many oatmeal cream pies. That one is for me by the way. 

A faith that Jesus responds to is a specific faith. 

Mark 11:24 ESV
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.

4 Features of Faith That Amaze Jesus! 

I. A Sensitive Faith vs. 1-2
II. A Specific Faith vs. 3
III. A Strong Faith vs. 6-8
Luke 7:6-8 ESV
6 And Jesus went with them. When he was not far from the house, the centurion sent friends, saying to him, “Lord, do not trouble yourself, for I am not worthy to have you come under my roof. 7 Therefore I did not presume to come to you. But say the word, and let my servant be healed. 8 For I too am a man set under authority, with soldiers under me: and I say to one, ‘Go,’ and he goes; and to another, ‘Come,’ and he comes; and to my servant, ‘Do this,’ and he does it.”

Point:
This centurion understood authority. He knew how authority worked, at least in a military sense and he applied his military training to his spiritual upbringing. Whatever he commanded, he knew that his orders would be carried out without question and without hesitation. 

The centurion understood that Jesus carried greater weight and authority than he did.

“Jesus, I know that if you say it to be so, then it will be so. If you want my servant healed, say the word and it will be done.” Jesus replied, “word”. 

Point:
Now that is some pretty strong faith. The centurion’s faith was amazing to Jesus. In the following verse, Jesus remarks that there is no one who is more faithful in all of Israel than this Gentile God-fearer. That is quite a statement by Jesus. 

Point:
You might be saying, “well it is easy to have faith when at the end of the day, the centurion’s servant was healed.” What happens to our faith when we are not healed, when death is the end result? What happens to our faith when we pray for that job but don’t get it? What happens to our faith we we pray for a healing for our loved one and they are still not well? 

Friends, to many times we put our faith in the healing rather than the healer. Our faith is often dependent on the end result that we often deem better for us. That is not the economy of God. Remember that God says that if we want to gain life than we must lose our life. Jesus told his followers that if they wanted family, that they would have to leave their family. Jesus told his disciples that He did not come for the religious or the holy but the pagan and the unrighteous. God’s ways are often upside down from our way. Even Paul says to live is great but dying would be so much better. 

Huh?  

So, do I believe that this centurion’s faith would have been shaken if Jesus did not deliver the healing to his servant? No. God is good even when things don’t go our way. Trust me, even when things don’t go our way, they are always going God’s way. 

I was listening to the radio the other day and a song by MercyMe came on. It is called “Even If”. The song addresses the issue of the strength of our faith being determined by the outcome of God’s answers to our prayers. Listen to these lyrics. 

Even If

They say sometimes you win some
Sometimes you lose some
And right now, right now I'm losing bad
I've stood on this stage night after night
Reminding the broken it'll be alright
But right now, oh right now I just can't

It's easy to sing
When there's nothing to bring me down
But what will I say
When I'm held to the flame
Like I am right now

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

They say it only takes a little faith
To move a mountain
Well good thing
A little faith is all I have, right now
But God, when You choose
To leave mountains unmovable
Oh give me the strength to be able to sing
It is well with my soul

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

You've been faithful, You've been good
All of my days
Jesus, I will cling to You
Come what may
‘Cause I know You're able
I know You can

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

I know the sorrow, I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
It is well with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul

I Peter 1:6-7 ESV
6 In all this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that the proven genuineness of your faith—of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire—may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed.

4 Features of Faith That Amaze Jesus! 

I. A Sensitive Faith vs. 1-2
II. A Specific Faith vs. 3
III. A Strong Faith vs. 6-8
IV. A Shining Faith vs. 9-10
Luke 7:9-10 ESV
9 When Jesus heard these things, he marveled at him, and turning to the crowd that followed him, said, “I tell you, not even in Israel have I found such faith.” 10 And when those who had been sent returned to the house, they found the servant well.

Point:
In our faith, its important to shine the light of our faith on Jesus. After all, it is all about him. When i read this story, my temptation was to say that the main character is the sick man. Then it was the centurion. The truth is that the centerpiece of the story is Jesus. It was always Jesus and it will always be about Jesus. 

God used the sick man’s circumstances and the centurion’s faith to keep Jesus at the center of the story. Jesus was not alone. Hardly, there was a crowd there watching, waiting and hoping for Jesus to do something amazing. Jesus did not disappoint. Jesus never disappoints. 

Practically speaking, how can I model the centurion’s example? How can I shine the light of Christ in my life, keeping Him the center of everything I do? 

Bring House Lights Down

Illustration: Christmas Lighting
Believe it or not, Christmas will soon be upon us. As you know, Christmas is my favorite time of year. I love the lights especially. A few years ago I started an illuminating tradition. I took the cross that I use for Easter and began to wrap Christmas lights around the cross. It is easy to lose the message of the cross at Christmas.  I wanted people to drive by my house to see the cross and ponder where they stand in the light of eternity. 

Here is a question for us? Do we light the cross in our lives? Can people see the cross of Christ as a banner over our lives?

Do they see the cross at school?
Do they see the cross at home?
Do they see the cross on social media?
Do they see the cross at work?
Do they see the cross in your life at church?

The centurion put his faith on display and the crowds benefited. Would your faith lead others to Jesus or push them away?

Remember the faith that Jesus marvels at is sensitive, specific, strong and shining!

Mark 16:15 ESV
And he said to them, “Go into all the world and proclaim the gospel to the whole creation.


Turn This Information Into Your Inspiration!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty