God Made A Way: Easter Devotional

God Made A Way: Easter Devotional

Opening Illustration:
In 1994, a 67-year-old carpenter named Russell Herman died in Marion, Illinois. In his last will and testament he bequeathed the following:

• $2.4 billion to the town of Cave-In-Rock

• $2.4 billion to the city of East St. Louis

• $1.5 billion for projects in southeastern Illinois

And in a final act of unprecedented generosity, he left $6 trillion to the Federal Reserve to pay off the national debt (it would take a lot more today because the debt is now over $14 trillion). There was only one problem: at the time of his death, the only thing Mr. Herman actually owned was a 1983 Olds Toronado.

Russell Herman may not have left behind anything of monetary value, but he did leave us all with a good reminder: you can’t give away what you don’t possess.

Point
The bottom line is that he did not have the resources to make any of this a reality. Not so with God. He has all the means to make good on all His promises. Our big idea today is this: In a world of broken promises, God can be counted on.

Point:
The Bible is filled with promises! It is said that there are 5467 promises in the Bible. Promises that you can count on! Promises that you do not have to doubt. One of those promises is there is life after death. We don’t have to fear death because of what Jesus did for us on the cross and how He defeated the grave. 

Fill in that blank this morning!

There Is Life After Death! That’s A Promise!

Scripture:
Today’s Scripture is just one verse. It was written by Paul just after Christ’s death and is perhaps one of the best promises in all of Scripture. Let’s read it together. I Corinthians 6:14.

I Corinthians 6:14 NIV
By his power God raised the Lord from the dead, and he will raise us also.

3 Things To Remember This Easter

I. Death Defeated

Millions and millions of Christians around the world celebrate Easter every year. But for far too many of us the story has become boring and rote. We have the basic facts down. Jesus was arrested. He was crucified. And three days later, God raised him from the dead.

Yet we miss something very important. We miss what turns Easter from a one-dimensional holiday to a multi-dimensional, life-transforming way of life.

We miss that the story of the Resurrection isn’t just Jesus’ story — it’s our story as well.
You see, you are a part of the Resurrection. Jesus’ death and Resurrection didn’t just prove there was life after death. The Resurrection proves you can have life after death, that there’s life beyond your grave.

Jesus says, if you trust in him, death becomes a transition, not an ending point.

One day your heart will stop. That will be the end of your body. But it will not be the end of you. God made you to last forever. That’s why you often have a feeling there’s more to life than this. Jesus made this amazing promise in John 11: 25-26.

John 11:25-26 NIV
 “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die.” 

3 Things To Remember This Easter

I. Death Defeated
II. Crypt Conquered  

Illustration:
The internet is an interesting repository of lots of interesting things. I came across a story the other day that I thought was a bit fascinating. It was a picture of a Texas man Quincy Don Papa P. The photo shows Quincy sitting on a throne with a crown. A large crowd gathered around him to celebrate him. The only problem was that Mr. Papa P was dead and those gathering around him were his mourners at his funeral. 

Point:
Quincy may have had an unusual funeral service, certainly unlike one that I have ever attended. However, his funeral will be similar to mine and yours in one critical way. I think you know where i am going. Quincy, like me and you, will die. He will not come back from that death and while he may have thought of himself as a king, he most certainly encountered the King of Kings. That is what the Bible promises. When we die, we will face the Lord of Hosts.  

Point:
For me and you, we don’t have to fear death because death was defeated by the cross and our graves have been destroyed. Our crypts have been conquered if you will! Remember John’s words in Revelation 1:17-18.

Revelation 1:17-18 ESV
When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, “Fear not, I am the first and the last, 18 and the living one. I died, and behold I am alive forevermore, and I have the keys of Death and Hades.

Point:
That’s quite a promise! Jesus proved he could do it by resurrecting himself. Otherwise, we would have no reason to believe it. If Jesus hadn’t died on the cross and been resurrected more than 2,000 years ago, you would have zero chance of getting to Heaven — no hope of the afterlife and no eternal life.

3 Things To Remember This Easter

I. Death Defeated
II. Crypt Conquered  
III. Map Made

Illustration:
Humans have been sketching maps for thousands of years, but Claudius Ptolemy was the first to use math and geometry to develop a manual for how to map the planet using a rectangle and intersecting lines and it was his map that was used until the early 17th century. The Alexandria-based Greek scholar, who may never have drawn a map himself, described the latitude and longitude of more than 8,000 locations. Sadly Claudius’ map was missing the Americas as it had not been discovered yet. 

He made a good map, a really good map, but not a perfect map. 

Point: 
God has been in the map making business for a long long time. God has made the perfect map for all humanity to know Him, and spend eternity with Him forever. 

The map was made by way of the cross and sealed in the blood of Christ. 

Point:
Remember, God made a way! How?

The Gospel:
Let me share with you the Gospel today.  

1. You are a sinner. 
Romans 3:23
For all have sinned and fallen short…

2. Your sin separates you from God
Isaiah 59: 2
Your sins have separated you from God…

3. You cannot pay for your sin with good works
Isaiah 64:6
We are all infected and impure with sin. When we display our righteous deeds, they are nothing but filthy rags. Like autumn leaves, we wither and fall, and our sins sweep us away like the wind.

4. You need a Savior
John 14:6 
I am the way the truth and the life, no one comes to the Father unless he comes first through me.

5. Jesus is that Savior
John 3:16 
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son that whosoever believes in him might not perish but have eternal life.  

6. You must call out to him to be saved
Romans 10:13
Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved

8. Once you have accepted Christ, you must make the decision to grow in your walk and obedience
Colossians 2:6-7
Therefore, just as you have received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live in Him, rooted and built up in Him, established in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness. 

If it is the desire of your heart to know Jesus, live with Jesus forever when you die and to see Sparky again, you can pray this prayer with me.  Its not to late.  It is never to late.  Will you bow your head with me now and pray in the stillness and quietness of your heart?

The Sinner’s Prayer:

“Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive, and hears my prayer. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.”


Remember, God Made A Way For You!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

Therefore…Be Alert

Long Lasting Liberty