“Faith vs. Fear”

 “Real Talk: Life, Faith, and Following Jesus”


Introduction:

Good morning Eastern Shore Baptist Church. My name is Stuart Davidson and I am the pastor here at ESBC. Welcome to our visitors, and if you are watching online this morning, we are glad that you have tuned in. Today, we are in week three of a six week series. The series is entitled “Real Talk: Life, Faith, and Following Jesus”. Today’s message is entitled “Faith vs. Fear”. 


Today’s Message:

“Faith vs. Fear”


The subject of fear is like a long thread weaved throughout the pages of Scripture. Just about every character in the Bible battled fear. 


Moses

Joshua

Gideon

David

Elijah

Esther

Jeremiah

Jonah

Peter

Paul

Timothy

John 

Mary

Joseph

Thomas

Martha

John Mark


I could keep going. Not only did just about every character you can think of battle fear, but the subject of fear is often referred to and discussed in Holy Scripture. In the English Standard Version, “fear” is found 340 times. In the New American Standard Version of the Bible, “fear” is found 374 times. The King James Version of the Bible mentions “fear” some 385 times. 


When you hear the word “fear” said in the New Testament, you are actually hearing the Greek word “phobos”. It is where we get the English word “phobia”. It means “panic, terror, or the feeling of inadequacy”. Fear was, and continues to be such an important topic, that our Lord talked a great deal about it. That’s right, Jesus Himself gives us listeners today some pretty good advice when it comes to fear. 


In Matthew 10:28, Jesus encourages His disciples not to fear earthly threats but to have a reverent fear of God.


“Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.”


In John 14:27, Jesus comforts His disciples, offering them peace and urging them not to be afraid.


“Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.”


In Luke 12:32, Jesus assures His followers of God’s provision and their inheritance in His Kingdom.


“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom.”


So important the subject and topic of fear and worry, Jesus dedicated a large portion of His Sermon on the Mount to the issue. Listen to what He says in Matthew 6:25-34. 


“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear… But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.”


Oh friends, no one is immune to fear. Fear is a struggle that is common to man and it appears that no one can escape the clutches of fear, anxiety, and worry. If we are not afraid, it seems that we often invent or imagine things to fear. 


For instance, there is globophobia, the fear of balloons. What about pogonophobia? Are you afraid of beards? If you are, then you have pogonophobia. What about this new fear? This fear came about in the last 30 years or so. Have you heard of nomophobia? No? How many of you have your phone with you this morning? Go ahead, raise them up. How many of you, if you were to leave your phone at home by accident, would feel a feeling of dread or anxiousness? Well, if you do, you have nomophobia. Nomophobia is a fear of leaving behind your mobile phone. 


Well friends, there is plenty to be afraid of isn’t there? We can fear the future. We can worry about our health, our finances. We can have sleepless nights over our children. We can struggle with the outcome of elections, the raging of wars. We can worry about losing our jobs. We can fear our spouse leaving us. The list goes on and on. 


What are you afraid of this morning? What keeps you awake? What burden are you carrying this morning?


Do me a favor this morning, fill in the blanks under “Today’s Thought”. Life can be filled with overwhelming obstacles. Ordeals are everywhere. However, there is some good news today. God is our overcomer. 


Today’s Thought:

Life Can Be Filled With Overwhelming Obstacles. Ordeals Are Everywhere. 

Good News…God Is Our Overcomer


One of my favorite Scriptures was spoken by our Savior. He was speaking to the disciples who were, at the time, exceedingly worried about their future. 


“What will happen to us Jesus?”


“Jesus, what if you go away, then what?”


“Jesus, we want to believe but we are struggling with trusting you. What if you let us down?”


These were the thoughts that the disciples were battling. 


Have you ever thought those thoughts? I sure have. Listen to what Jesus tells them in John 16.


John 16:25-33 ESV

"I have said these things to you in figures of speech. The hour is coming when I will no longer speak to you in figures of speech but will tell you plainly about the Father. [26] In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; [27] for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God. [28] I came from the Father and have come into the world, and now I am leaving the world and going to the Father." [29] His disciples said, "Ah, now you are speaking plainly and not using figurative speech! [30] Now we know that you know all things and do not need anyone to question you; this is why we believe that you came from God." [31] Jesus answered them, "Do you now believe? [32] Behold, the hour is coming, indeed it has come, when you will be scattered, each to his own home, and will leave me alone. Yet I am not alone, for the Father is with me. [33] I have said these things to you, that in me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation. But take heart; I have overcome the world."


Jesus delievers some pretty real talk to the disciples. 


“Listen fellas, I’m not going to sugar coat this information for you. What I’m about to say to you is not going to be easy to hear. I wish it weren’t so, but I’m not going to lie to you. Here it is! In this world, you are going to have all sorts of hardships. You will face trails. You will see struggle. You will be persecuted and hated. Some of you are going to live incredibly difficult lives. You will even die for my name. You will experience all these things but chin up. Keep your eyes on me. I’m telling you these things so that in me you will find your peace. I’m telling you these things so that in me you will be able to face your fears. Take heart, I have overcome this world that is doing its best to overcome you.”


That’s the Stuart Davidson Translation of the Bible. 


One of my favorite authors is Max Lucado. My children have grown up reading Max Lucado books their entire lives. In fact, my boys are so familiar with Max Lucado books we refer to him as Uncle Max. One of my favorite Lucado books is “Fearless”. I would highly recommend to you if you are struggling with fear this morning. Listen to what Uncle Max says about fear. 


"Fear is a liar. It tells us that we are weak, that we cannot overcome, and that we are alone. But God's Spirit is the antidote to fear. He reminds us that we are strong in the Lord, that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and that we are never alone. The Spirit of God is not a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline. When we are filled with the Spirit, we are able to live boldly and confidently, knowing that God is with us and will never leave us or forsake us.”


Today’s Quote:

"Fear is a liar. It tells us that we are weak, that we cannot overcome, and that we are alone. But God's Spirit is the antidote to fear. He reminds us that we are strong in the Lord, that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us, and that we are never alone. The Spirit of God is not a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline. When we are filled with the Spirit, we are able to live boldly and confidently, knowing that God is with us and will never leave us or forsake us.”

Max Lucado from “Fearless”


Background and Context:

This morning we are going to be reading only 2 short verses this morning. We are going to read 2 Timothy 1:6-7. Before we read Paul’s words to Timothy, I want to give you the background and context of those Scriptures.


Paul is writing to his young protégé, Timothy. Now, Timothy was this gifted, passionate young leader, but he struggled with something many of us do—fear and timidity. He was facing pressure from outside and inside the church, opposition, and challenges that made him question whether he had what it took to lead and preach.


Paul reminds Timothy to “fan into flame” the gift God has given him, emphasizing that the Holy Spirit is not one of fear, but of power, love, and self-discipline. Paul knew fear could hold Timothy back, but he wanted him to remember that God had equipped him with everything he needed to overcome it.


By the way, Paul knew something about fear. He was writing this letter to Timothy from prison. So he was dealing with his own hardships but Paul was daily overcoming his fears through the power of the Holy Spirit working in and through him. The heart of this message is that fear doesn’t come from God. Instead, He’s given us the power to step out boldly, the love to conquer fear with compassion, and the discipline to stay strong no matter what comes our way. When fear whispers that we’re not enough, God says, “I’ve given you everything you need.”


Brothers and sisters, I want to remind you that…


Statement of Faith

We believe the Bible is inspired, infallible, and authoritative. It is vital for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness. God’s Word brings life, peace, and protection, and it profoundly touches the human soul. As a unique and powerful book, let us stand in reverence and respect for it.


Today’s Scripture

2 Timothy 1:6-7 ESV

For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands, [7] for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.


Pastor: “This is the Word of the Lord.”


Congregation: “Praise His name! Praise His holy name!”


The Main Point of 2 Timothy 1:6-7? Don’t F.E.A.R.!


Face your fears with faith.


So, let’s work through our fears this morning. Fill in our first blank. Face your fears with faith. 


Many of you know that I grew up in Montgomery, Alabama. Like many of you, I am a native Alabamian. I love our state and I am proud to be from this part of the world. If you travel outside the United States, you discover that when you tell people that you are from Alabama that Alabama is known for one central thing: the civil rights movement. 


Great figures from the Civil Rights movement were born, raised, and lived within the borders of Alabama. Martin Luther King preached at Dexter Avenue Baptist Church in Montgomery. Then there is Fred Shuttlesworth, founder of the Southern Christian Leadership Conference. What about John Lewis who helped organize the famous march from Selma to Montgomery? Perhaps the most famous Alabamian who impacted the Civil Rights Movement was none other than Rosa Parks. 


In 1955, Rosa Parks made a courageous stand for her faith in justice and equality. Living in Montgomery, Alabama, she was deeply troubled by the systemic racism and discrimination faced by Black Americans, especially the unfair laws requiring them to give up their seats to white passengers on public buses. One day, after a long day of work, Parks boarded a bus and took her seat in the “colored” section. When a white man demanded her seat, she refused to move, knowing that her actions could lead to her arrest.


Parks was arrested that day, but her act of defiance sparked the Montgomery Bus Boycott, a pivotal moment in the Civil Rights Movement. Her faith in God and the belief that she could make a difference inspired countless others to join the fight against racial injustice. Rosa Parks became known as the “mother of the civil rights movement,” and her faith in the cause of equality not only changed her life but also changed the course of history in America.


Rosa Parks chose to hang on to her faith, facing her fears. In doing so, the world changed forever. 


Did you know that in the Bible, the phrase “fear not” is mentioned some 365 times? It’s true! That’s a “fear not” for every single day of the year. I don’t know what fear you are hanging on to today. Fear of loss. Fear of illness. Fear of death. No matter what fear is gripping you today, you can put your faith in God. You can believe that He will not forsake you. He will never leave you, abandon you, or bail out on you. 


This reminds me of Isaiah 41:10. 


Isaiah 41:10 (NIV)

“So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”


Embrace God’s strength.


So, how can you overcome fear this morning? Face your fears with faith. Second, embrace God’s strength. 


If you were here last week, I really pulled back the curtain on my life. I think that it is important at your pastor to be transparent with you. I struggle. I fail. I’m deeply flawed. I can’t speak for you but I can absolutely speak for myself. I confess, I am a weak man. There are things that I do that I don’t want to do. There are things that I don’t want to say that I say anyway. There are thoughts that fly through my mind that I don’t want to think. It seems that no matter how hard I try, I continue to struggle. I fall. I fail. 


It is very frustrating. 


Then I open the pages of the Bible and I am introduced to other weak men. 


Peter. Peter was weak. A coward. He was often gripped in fear. He was two faced. Even though he gave an image that he didn’t care what anyone thought of him, he worried constantly what people said about him, what people thought about him. So totally lost was Peter that Jesus even called him Satan and told him to stop hindering His ministry. 


David. David was weak. David lusted. He was controlled by his sexual appetites. He was an adulterer. He was a murderer. He was the epitome of “absolute power corrupting absolutely”. Like Peter, he was a coward. When it was the season for kings to be off to war, David stayed behind and let braver men fight his battles. He was arrogant, ignorant, and narcissistic. He thumbed his nose at God’s commands. He was deceitful. He may have been a man after God’s heart but Scripture lets us know that David, when caught between a rock and hard place, would lie to save himself. 


Elijah. Elijah was weak. Even after seeing God do amazing things, Elijah was…like Peter and David…a coward. He fled from Queen Jezebel out of fear. You have probably heard of flight or fight, well Elijah did not let his feet fail him. He ran from difficulty. He fled hardship. At a particular low moment, he begged for God to just kill him. 


Weak, weak, weak! 


Do you know what’s amazing about all of these men? Just like they were weak, they also embraced God’s strength. No, they were not perfect, they were human. Peter, David, Elijah, they were all just like me and you. Flawed, weak men who God gave second, third, and fourth chances too. I


Peter displayed great faith when he got out of the boat. Peter preached boldly in Acts 2, leading to thousands coming to Christ. Peter stood in courts, faced persecution, and still would not deny Jesus. 


David faced Goliath. He stood tall against King Saul. He sought God even after he sinned. 


Elijah called fire down from heaven. He defeated the prophets of Baal. 


Know this brothers and sisters, just because you displayed a moment of weakness today doesn’t mean that you will stay weak forever. Hardly. Our weakness is just God’s opportunity to move mightily in our lives. 


Remember Paul’s words in Philippians 4:13 friends. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Communion Mediation

The Book of Mark: “Encountering the Miracles and Mission of Jesus Christ”

A Mother’s Day Message From Hannah